Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Help

Post Thanks / Like

Help

Can anyone help me with a general rule-of-thumb on how to price afghans. I make relatively intricate ones (Fisherman cable patterns, some of my afghans are personalized with initials, a couple of special creative baby afghans with filet words and hearts around...etc.). I would like to sell them, but I have no idea what to charge. Any ideas??

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't tell you specifically but some have said 3 times the cost of the yarn. You might go to ETSY and look at the prices that others are charging. More experienced sellers may come along and give you more precise advise.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Twinfaye, check out Etsy and see what folks are charging. It seems to vary a great deal. I have seen prices from $30 for a small afghan, to up to $200 or so for a large intricate one.

I think it also depends on where you live, and your method of selling. Craft fairs typically seem to have lower prices than online sales. Some people manage to develop a following, and make custom afghans and do very well. Sports teams items seem to sell well, and go for pretty high prices.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

4. Likes ILikeCrochet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bestgammy: I agree with both Faye and Bev: although I have not sold any of my baby blankets and/or full afghans as I give them to Project Linus, correction facility and to vets/survivors of 9/11, I have looked at Etsy. I have also looked at the gift shops of two local hospitals and 3 x price of yarn seems about right. Your work sounds beautiful!!! Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    I was on etsy and happen to see a hat... just an ordinary knitted hat that was being sold for $60 The person had other items in the $30 to $50 range. So take a look and go for it. You can always come down in price but it would be harder to go up in price.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with all the posts ...it is location, location...some areas may be more affluent than others. Remember your time doesn't have much bearing, all you can really do is recover the cost of the yarn + a little more . At least that's what I find here - everyone admires but the min you put a price on they drop out of sight. I prefer to make the ones I want and give them away or donate to charity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Smile: I so agree with you about giving items away! I get a lot of joy doing that! Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    Your price depends on how you value your work. People rarely make the decision to buy solely on price. Have your read Pricing Crochet for Maximum Profit? It is under $8 via Amazon. It is a good primer on pricing work.

I did a guest post for YarnObsession on this topic and then on my site as well:
    1. YO Crochet Business: How much can you get paid selling crochet?
    2. My site: How Do You Price Your Crochet Work? | Crochet Blogs | New to Blogging | Make Money Working From Home | Crochet Business Interviews | Affiliates Partners | Selling Crochet Tips

For what you described, I would say you need to charge high prices. You need to present your work as an heirloom to be treasured.

I highly recommend getting Craft Business Power by Cinnamon and Jason Miles. They are the owners of libertyjaneclothing.com. They started out selling one of Cinnamon's creations on eBay for $100 and their pieces are sought after often getting high bids even up to the $300+. (Amazon.com: Craft Business Power: 15 Days To A Profitable Online Craft Business eBook: Cinnamon Miles, Jason G. Miles: Kindle Store)

Whatever you do, don't sell at low-end craft shows - you will not make profit AND I'm assuming that is why you want to sell your work in the first place.

I certainly hope this helps.

p.s.Another thing to note is your cost of production INCLUDING the hours you put into making the piece, marketing the piece, and shopping for materials. With this in mind you need to add your profit to it.
    ~~~Love At All Times ~~~
    Blog: http://crochetbusiness.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I know in our area people just don't pay high prices, even on Etsy! If you figure your time to make the project, cost of yarn, etc you would never sell anything! I prefer just to put love and time into my afghans and give them away; there are so many needy people or just people needing comfort and I could not charge for that. Shirley

11. Likes ILikeCrochet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, the other thing the CBN reminds me of is a pyramid scheme. When so many are out of work, things like this pop up all the time. I know, this may offend some and I apologize right off the bat!!!! Shirley

13. Likes ILikeCrochet liked this post