Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Sales tax on etsy...

Does anyone know if you need to charge sales tax on handmade items on etsy.com? We've already been taxed on the goods once already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetsoup View Post
    Does anyone know if you need to charge sales tax on handmade items on etsy.com? We've already been taxed on the goods once already.

I don't think so. I have not sold on Etsy, but I buy things there quite a bit. I've never been charged any sales tax. Sometimes the rule for online sales tax seems to be if the online seller has a "brick and mortar" store in addition to their online website. Then they seem to charge tax when you buy online.

For example, I never pay sales tax when I purchase from Amazon, but always have to pay it if I buy from Walmart.com.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    check out the following
    at Outright have pulled together a handy tool where you can look up the sales tax requirements for your state(s). Sales Tax Resources by State for Online Sellers | The Bottom Line

From there, you can find four important pieces of information:
    1. Are the items you sell taxable? (For most Etsy sellers, the answer is yes, but check the link for your state to determine for sure.)
    2. For which customers do I charge sales tax? In some cases, only buyers in certain counties need to pay sales tax, whereas in other states, it’s everywhere.
    3. How much sales tax do I charge? The rates vary by state and by county, so check your state(s) to find out.
    4. Do I need to register to collect sales tax and, if so, how?

If you do need to register to charge sales tax, then remember to do so!
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64