Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Pattern for Diagonal Rainbow Afghan

DIAGONAL RAINBOW BABY AFGHAN

MATERIALS: Original pattern: Fore ‘an Aft Sport: 5 skeins white, 1 each pink (cherry blossom), peach, yellow, green (mint), blue (lt blue powder blue) and lavender. (Note: for a solid color afghan only 7 skeins are necessary). Crochet Hook Size H or size needed to obtain gauge. With baby yarn I have been using H and with for instance Red Heart Sport/Super Saver, I use an I hook. I made the primary color blanket shown in pics with Red Heart Sport yarn which was in a kit from Herrschners that was provided by Project Linus.
    GAUGE: Sides of triangle should measure 4 inches after 6 rows of pattern.
    SIZE: Finished afghan is approximately 36” square.
    Since the afghan gains a shell each row, it is difficult to estimate yarn usage. While the first skein goes approximately 28 rows, the 3rd skein goes about 6 rows.
    ROW 1: With white, CH 4, DC in 3rd CH from hook, DC in next CH. (Note: The 2 CHS skipped will be referred to as “CH 2 SP” of previous shell).
    ROW 2: CH 4, turn. DC in 3rd CH from hook, DC in next CH (SC, CH 2, 2 DC) in CH 2 SP of shell from Row 1 (Shell Made).
    ROW 3: CH 4, turn. DC in 3rd CH from hook, DC in next CH (SC, CH 2, 2 DC), in CH 2 SP of each shell of previous row (3 shells).
    ROW 4-54: Repeat Row 3 until 54 shells have been completed. End off white.
    ROW 55: With pink, turn afghan as if to start the next row, and attach yarn in CH space of shell. (Last shell of ROW 54). CH 3, 2 DC in same CH SP. Work in shell pattern across row (54 pink shells).
    ROW 56: Turn, SL ST across 2 DC, SL ST in CH 2 SP, CH 3, 2 DC in same space. Work a shell in all but last shell of row. SL ST in CH 2 SP of last shell.
    ROWS 57-58: Repeat Row 56. End pink. Attach peach as in Row 55 but SL ST in last shell as in Row 56.
    ROW 59-Finish: Continue to repeat Row 56 to end of blanket doing 4 rows each of peach, yellow, green, blue and lavender and finish remaining 30 rows in white. ALWAYS ATTACH NEW COLOR OF YARN AS IN ROW 55. Last row of lavender should have 31 shells.
    FINISHING: SC 2 rows around blanket. (Alternative finishing could be fringe or shell border).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You! This pattern works up beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never, ever had any luck with diagonal afghans. Every single one is skewed, and the last one -- I can't even get the corners to match so I can fold it! I've sworn off diagonals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lili, Thank you for posting this pattern. Hope to give it a try soon. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem occurs when you start adding a row and then start decreasing. Where are you? I am in Eastern WA and would love to help you. I even made one square yesterday cuz I so hate granny squares and it turned out very well.

Dragondrummer: I have used this same pattern for really large afghans, NICU size, etc. They all turn out looking so different because of the colors you use. Hope you like the pattern as much as I do. From the time I broke my hip August 2012 to April 2013, I made 60 + blankies and gave to Project Linus!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lili, I follow the pattern but always have more of a diamond than a square or rectangle. They are lovely, but there's so much more out there that I am at no loss for patterns.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know, you find something you like and go with it! Have a great weekend everyone!

8. Likes lnichols8 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea, Lili! I'm going to be laid up 4 to 6 weeks due to foot surgery. (Giggles) As if I don't already have enough projects going to keep me busy!!! But I do love rainbows...will have to see what I've got in my stash that might work. Hugs, Carol

Post Thanks / Like
    Carol: Almost any color/yarn works. I made a lot of blankets for NICU babies which were small so I used up a lot of bits. Good luck with the foot surgery! Let me know how you are doing! Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and thanks for this pattern. I don't make afghans in Summer - I'm in TX- because of the heat- bad even with A C. But have printed your pattern to start on this Fall. Thanks so much. Do you have a pic you can show us- I'd like to see your colors, ect. If you don't, that's O K . I don't know how to post pics- gonna learn some day.