Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

If you sell your work, bookmark this link!

There is a whole lot of misinformation, and downright lies going around regarding the selling of handmade items, whether they are crocheted, sewed, or otherwise constructed from patterns found on the internet, or purchased.

This is a wonderful, fact-filled article that tells you everything you need to know if you plan to sell something you have made.

It is quite long, but I recommend bookmarking this link for future reference:

Copyright Law - Patterns
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    What a wealth of information you've provided us there. Good to have. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    May anyone explain me. Can I sell my doilies or not? I get pattern from magazine. I do not design myself.
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

4. Likes vlpw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing this very informative article. Although I am feeling like kl1000, "so can I sell my work?" lol! It was very complicated. Will read it again later. Thanks again!
    Happiness is a choice!

Post Thanks / Like
    first thanks for sharing, Second, I believe one can sell the 'crocheted' work as long as the pattern says do not sell; you can't sell the pattern even give a copy of the pattern, you have to send them to site you got it from....but this isn't from this article.....if I read this one differently I will share....hugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kl1000 View Post
    May anyone explain me. Can I sell my doilies or not? I get pattern from magazine. I do not design myself.
    Yes, you can absolutely sell your doilies. You cannot sell the pattern that you made the doilies from, but you can sell your work.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the article. I definitely bookmarked it

Quote Originally Posted by Anaisa View Post
    first thanks for sharing, Second, I believe one can sell the 'crocheted' work as long as the pattern says do not sell; you can't sell the pattern even give a copy of the pattern, you have to send them to site you got it from....but this isn't from this article.....if I read this one differently I will share....hugs.
    This website says you can sell products made from patterns regardless of what it says because even if they could get copyright on their patterns, it does not extend to materials made from it. They offered an example of buying shed instructions and making a shed - would you then have to get permission to post pictures of that shed? Or permission to sell the instructions? It is really dumb when you think of it in terms like that. But the article also mentioned that you won't even be able to get copyright on your patterns anyway. Just not one of those things you can legally copyright, especially with clothes as they are "useful items." You just simply can't copyright a shirt. I don't know about selling the actual pattern though, guess I didn't read close enough lol.