Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Nimble Finger leader at local Senior Center

Hi. I am Sharon and am the leader of a group of ladies at our local Senior Center. We knit, crochet and sew for charity. I can only crochet and then my projects are fairly simple (beginner style). I make comfort shawls, scarves, lap robes, baby blankets, etc. I have made the tied fleece blankets also for our local children's hospital. I bought some fleece recently and tried to crochet an edging around it, but the fleece tears where I insert the hook. Am I doing something wrong. I think it is the quality of the fleece. I thought I was buying good fleece, but it isn't working very well. Is there some other edging to put on the fleece that isn't terribly expensive? I don't want the blanket to end up costing a lot of money since it is for charity. Not that they don't deserve nice things., but to purchase binding gets costly. Would love some feedback on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and Welcome!

Happy Mother's Day!!

Here is something which may be helpful for you:

Crochet Edge Around a Fleece Blanket | ThriftyFun

And this may be helpful for you:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for your response. I have heard about the skip stitch cutters but they don't seem to be available in stores around here. I will look into the slipstitch.com and see what they have. I liked the tutorial. I had not thought of folding the fleece over as you crochet, so this might be helpful
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to a small fabric shop and had them order me a skip stitch blade. I then did a baby blanket crocheting the edge using the skip stitch blade and let them display it. They now keep a few on hand in that store. I could have ordered it on line and would not have cost me much more. But I am a firm believer in if I can support my local economy then that's what I will do. It is worth every penny to have a skip stitch blade if you like to crochet edgings on fleece blankets. The other piece of advise I can give is to make sure you have about 3/4 inch of fabric and roll the fabric.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your response. Yes, I am looking for one of the slip stitch cutters. Most of them online do not tell you which cutters they will fit. May I ask at which store you bought yours. And now I will try to fold over the edge as I go along.
    Thanks again.