Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Post Help is needed with changing tread

Hi,
    I love to filet crochet and have been doing it for a couple of months. I have difficulty changing thread. I've tried different way so the change will not be noticeable but I'm still not happy with it. A knot shows. If I work the tails in to keep from making a knot they still show. I've tried separating the threads and working them into one thread but that makes it thick and that shows.
    Is there an easier, less noticeable way.
    Just picking up the new thread is also very hard to do and, of course, that leaves the tails to work in.
    pat

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a very hard thing for me too; I guess it depends on the thread; but I learned on this forum the Russian join and it helps a lot. I find it sometimes splits the thread so practice and patients is needed. Hope this helps and happy crocheting.

3. Likes grandmajenny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that must be the same thing I'm doing with I try to separate the individual threads and put both ends back together. That does make a thick thread though. I thought there must be a better way. Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try the various joinings shown on uTube. I don't do much threadwork; but I use the Russian Join a lot. There's a knot that consists of two knots joined together that is supposed to be foolproof; but I usually use yarn and the Russian or braided joins works fine for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the best u can, and remember; that shows it was handmade. Which makes it way more valuable than a ” perfect” mass
    produced one!

Post Thanks / Like

changing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Joyannerose View Post
    Do the best u can, and remember; that shows it was handmade. Which makes it way more valuable than a ” perfect” mass
    produced one!
    LOL You have that correct(especially about showing it's handmade). I just thought there must be a better way and I searched utube, as one person suggested, and did come up with a different way. I'm doing what they suggest but it's been so hard I opted for a knot. BUT, in watching one lady change thread w/o a knot I learned an easier way to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also used the double knot but I finally got the russian join and then I saw the braided join and I'm going to try it. Anything to not have tails!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I haven't seen the braided join, thanks Faye for mentioning that one. I'll have to check it out.

I pull up the next color thread in the last look of the stitch, give it a good hard pull into the top of the stitch and then continue in pattern. But with thread it is nearly impossible to not see it at all. Haven't worked on the thread in years. I try not to concentrate too much on some of those points and accept that they may show a little.

Judi G