Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Learned A Word Meaning Today, Thank You!

ANTIMACASSAR: Those lovely lace covers on the backs of chairs and sofas.

At one time, men were using MACASSAR OIL on their hair which rubbed off and stained the chairs and sofas. Enterprising women made those lovely covers we see in the antique shops to prevent the oil stains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I'm familiar with this word as I love the Victorian era! Thanks for sharing!

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Also one of the queens, maybe Victoria ? was so pristine that any thing with the name of a body part had to be covered! Even the legs of pianos had a covering of some kind on them. Chair ARMS, chair BACKS, LEGS of furniture, ect. Did I get off on a different subject here. Probably did but I find it interesting. lol Come a long way, Baby. For better or worse I'm not sure!

4. Likes Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That was the Victorian period. I love learning something new. I knew this but I liked the refresher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I didn't know the reason for them. I thought they were only for decoration.

7. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always just liked the looks of them so I made some for myself years ago. I still think they make the chairs & sofas look nice. Use to always use a dresser scarf but you don't see them too often anymore.

9. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustygirl View Post
    I always just liked the looks of them so I made some for myself years ago. I still think they make the chairs & sofas look nice. Use to always use a dresser scarf but you don't see them too often anymore.
    Try Vintage Crochet sites or the Therese Dilmont book, "Encyclopedia of Handwork [sp??]

11. Likes Dustygirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something else I have been looking for is a long table runner. I don't want to do the motifs just a one piece runner in thread not yarn. I can modify a pattern to make it the size I want if I could find a nice one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is Red Heart that has a runner out of stars that I liked and it is a thread one.

14. Likes Dustygirl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing. I knew what they are used for but did not know proper name. I learner something today. Happy crocheting

16. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post