Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm back - well, somewhat.

Hi everyone. I have missed you all. So much has been happening since my Mom died. I want to reconnect with everyone, and don't know what to say. It's been way too much drama, heartache, funerals, stress and illnesses to even start to put it all down here. Let's just say, that so far, 2013 has be incredibly difficult to bare. But if the stress hasn't killed me yet, I guess I'm here to stay.

Missing my Mom has been so hard. And being executrix of her will and dividing up her life possessions has been too much. Slowly but surely, we are getting through it though.

I also started working part time right before my Mom died. I don't think I told you any of that. I am part of a support team for Mentally Retarded individuals. (Not my term, their diagnosis). It's a wonderful company, and they have all sorts of programs. They matched me up with 2 wonderful young ladies. My job is to help them get out more, get some exercise, and just try to help them grow and learn as much as they can to be as independent as they can. My goal is to give them more things to do, so they can do some things on their own, and their life experiences aren't so limited. One is deaf, and one is blind. It makes it doubly difficult for them to be independent.

So I joined them both up to a YMCA gym. And I take them (it's all separate - one at a time). Bonus - I get to work out for free with them, and I'm getting paid to do it! I think I'd do it if I wasn't getting paid!

And you know what, they're teaching me things. I'm learning sign language, and one is very religious, so we go to bible study/prayer meeting. (I have given them a lot to pray for on my behalf. But it's all really helping keep me busy, and focusing on them take my mind off all the stress.

I'm going to teach them both to crochet, and bead jewelry, weave potholders. Whatever I can, so they have crafts to keep them busy. But right now, with it finally getting nice, going out is their top choice. So we'll get to the crafts eventually.

I will be posting a request for any ideas helping to teach a blind person to crochet on the regular site, so I can get as many ideas as possible.

So, onward and upward. I still have my beautiful family, who have been a great support. I had lots of Birthday wishes from family and friends to help me be able to somewhat enjoy my first birthday without my Mom (3 weeks after her passing).

I've also had a very difficult time getting my passion for crocheting back. But I feel it coming back more each day. Somedays I'm just so emotionally exhausted I pick up a hook to hold it, and just can't get into it. But I am finally able to remember a simple pattern repeat. So there's hope for me yet

Hope all is going well for everyone. I have started reading more of the posts lately. And I'll join in as I can.

Thank you all for your support.
    Love,
    Joy Ann

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see you back, it is rough to get over a death, I lost my Mother a couple years ago and it is hard. It takes a special person to work with the mentally retarted. I have a sister who is profoundly retarted. It isn't easy, I am her Guardian. Am so glad it helps keep your stress level down. That is important to keep your mind busy. I found the worse time is at night, it is hard to keep the memories at bay.

3. Likes justplainjudy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back. So sorry about your loss
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry about your loss of your Mom. It is not easy. I lost mine in 2002 and it is still hard some days. She is in a better place as she was bedridden the last year and my husband put his life and job on hold and cared for her 24/7/. He is definitely a 'keeper'. I love him desperately.
    Take care of your self and things will smooth soon. Glad you are back.
    Hugs
    God bless

CrochetDee

6. Likes MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, Joy Ann! You went thru so much heartache and are going thru such happiness on the part of those two young ladies, it is incredible. I know how hard it is to lose a mother. I lost my mother in '89. She was such a caring, gentle woman. I miss her as much now as I did then. Just know that the days get easier. I still "talk" to her. Our "kids" do the same. She had such an impression on them that they remember what good memories she made for our family. Every family should be so lucky to have a woman like her grace it. God love her. It is very hard to cope with the loss of a mother, start a new job, and cope with the stress of being a caregiver of two handicapped young women. But you seem to have the grace and patience and love to teach them to learn new and exciting crafts that they will appreciate. They will be excited and frustrated and will try your patience, but I am confident you will succeed. Maybe teaching these two women will help you get your passion back for crocheting. Seeing them succeed and being proud of their achievements may be just the answer. I know your mother would be very proud of you. I can guarantee you that your family is! God bless you, Joy Ann. I wish there were more people like you in this world.

Hugs, Judy
    Last edited by justplainjudy; 05-03-2013 at 10:47 AM.

8. Likes MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Bck Joyanne my deepest condolences for your loss. I lost my mom in 2011 just 3 days before her 71st birthday. You and your family are in my prayers things will get easier with time.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

10. Likes justplainjudy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasdaniel View Post
    Oh, Joy Ann! You went thru so much heartache and are going thru such happiness on the part of those two young ladies, it is incredible. I know how hard it is to lose a mother. I lost my mother in '89. She was such a caring, gentle woman. I miss her as much now as I did then. Just know that the days get easier. I still "talk" to her. Our "kids" do the same. She had such an impression on them that they remember what good memories she made for our family. Every family should be so lucky to have a woman like her grace it. God love her. It is very hard to cope with the loss of a mother, start a new job, and cope with the stress of being a caregiver of two handicapped young women. But you seem to have the grace and patience and love to teach them to learn new and exciting crafts that they will appreciate. They will be excited and frustrated and will try your patience, but I am confident you will succeed. Maybe teaching these two women will help you get your passion back for crocheting. Seeing them succeed and being proud of their achievements may be just the answer. I know your mother would be very proud of you. I can guarantee you that your family is! God bless you, Joy Ann. I wish there were more people like you in this world.

Hugs, Judy
    Thanks for saying that Judy. I think she would be too.
    Joy Ann

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone. You are all so supportive here.
    Joy Ann

15. Likes justplainjudy liked this post