Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Post Thanks / Like

Need help with adding an edging.

Is there a general rule of thumb for the number of stitches to use when doing a single crochet edging around a project?

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally its one SC for each stitch but because you are going around an edge it can be hard sometimes to gauge a "stitch". I always add an extra if it will leave a hole. Then its 3 SC in each corner. But again sometimes you have to adjust. If you see your edge getting wavy you have too many SC. If it starts getting tight and shrinking you don't have enough. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is exactly how I do it also.
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by kayscrochetpatterns View Post
    Generally its one SC for each stitch but because you are going around an edge it can be hard sometimes to gauge a "stitch". I always add an extra if it will leave a hole. Then its 3 SC in each corner. But again sometimes you have to adjust. If you see your edge getting wavy you have too many SC. If it starts getting tight and shrinking you don't have enough. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    What stitch was the body of the item worked up in? if it was SC, then I do as mentioned above. If it's DC, then I do 2 SC within the stitch. You really just have to do trial and error and eyeball it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have wondered about this, and looked in book after book to see if there is a stated rule of thumb. The reality that I have found, is that if the row was sc then 1 sc if dc then 2 if tr then 3 except this doesn't always lay as flat as it should and depending on the mixer of stitches in the rows I have to really eyeball it and see what will lay flat using hdc really throw this off. So there is really no exact way to edge something except whatever makes it lay flat, which could include using 1 size up in my hook size. The rule of thumb I use is what looks best. The only time I stick to a count is if the edge is going to support a ruffle of some sort and I have to have a certain count in pattern to make the corners work.

6. Likes justplainjudy liked this post