Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Thread For Antique Patterns

There are some lovely old patterns out there, but the threads they call for aren't available any more. It isn't helpful that there is no gauge for them, either.

Is there a book, web page, or just someone who can share what available threads and yarns might be used for ones that aren't being made?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    here are a few ideas you might try. I just found this link and it has many different things to try and also a section on what thread and or yarn to use in patterns. Hope these help you.

Crochet Pattern Central - Free, Online Crochet Patterns - Beginner Crochet Instructions - Crochet Tips, Tricks, Testimonials and More!

Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet Thread Size 10
    The most common and popular, size 10 crochet thread offers many options for your favorite projects in a variety of colors! High
    luster, mercerized cotton crochet thread, Aunt Lydia’s Classic Crochet is perfect for crochet projects both large and small. Available
    in a wide range of fashion solids, neutral basics, and alluring multicolors, Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet is ideal for home decorating
    and fashion projects.
    Art. 154 Classic Crochet size 10
    Materials: 100% mercerized cotton
    Length: White & Ecru: 400 yds
    Solid Colors: 350 yds
    Shaded Colors: 300 yds
    Weight/Ply: bedspread weight, 3 ply

3. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yarndex Knitting + Crochet Directory - Contact Us[/url]
    This site may help and I'm sure there are others.
    Sometimes vintage pattern sites have suggestions; or you may be able to guess the guage from the finished measurements.

<http://www.yarndex.com/contact.cfm>

Post Thanks / Like
    I simply use Aunt Lydias #10 crochtet cotton .Ihave done a coulple vintage doilys they came out ok......Mary

Post Thanks / Like
    My search skills are lacking. I just can't find any charts or descriptions of the types of threads these patterns are using. The hats, bags, and gloves I'm looking at don't even have sizes or dimensions, so I will just have to play and figure out what works.

Thank you for your suggestions.