Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

first clothing item and need help

I n the portion of a pattern for a sweater below, what would the numbers 9(10,11,12,13,14) be referencing? I understand that the the ch 60 (etc) is based on the size made, but this part I just do not understand. Help! I hope I have not taken on a project that I am not ready for. Becky

Ch 60 (66, 72, 78, 84, 90).
    Row 1 (RS): Dc in 4th ch from hook (counts as 2 dc), [sk 1 ch, 3 dc in next ch (3-dc shell made), sk 2 ch, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch (V-st made), sk 1 ch] across; end with dc in each of last 2 ch - 9 (10, 11, 12, 13, 14) V-st.
    Repeat Rows 1 and 2 of V-st Pattern until there are a total of 20 (20, 20, 22, 22, 22) rows, end with a WS row. Fasten off. V-st.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are making the size 9- you would chain 60.
    Size 10- chain 66
    Ect. This is my understanding. The larger the size, the more stitches you need. O K ? It helps to take a hi- lighter and mark what is in the parentheses -the size you need- to help keep your eyes from crossing (LOL) and getting the wrong number of stitches.Hope this helps!

3. Likes rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto what blossom said! Esp about highlighting, i am doing my first garment and found that it more than helps!! Enjoy your first garment, never feel that is beyond your experience, or it slways will be. Ask questions, sratch your head, reread and reread. But most important, ask questions if your not sure!! Have fun!!
    Almost forgot. Many times mine didnt look right, and i was sure i did evrrything right. Just go forward if you are sure, and the pattern will work itself out. That has happened to me a couple of times.
    Last edited by rosieh20; 04-23-2013 at 10:19 AM.

5. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The part I am confused about is: End with dc in each of last 2 ch 9(10,11,12,13,14)V-st.

What are those numbers?

Repeat Rows 1 and 2 of V-st Pattern until there are a total of 20 (20, 20, 22, 22, 22) rows, end with a WS row. Fasten off.

Post Thanks / Like

first time clothing item, need help

Below is the whole pattern, the part I am looking at is in the front and back ; the 9,10, 11 etc is not the pattern sizes from what I see, the sizes are based on bust size and I am in the 45 inch range.

Free Crochet Pattern: Women's Shell

Lion Brand® Microspun

Pattern #: 60454

Rating:

4.0 (based on 4 reviews)

Most current review / See all reviews
    Write a review
    SKILL LEVEL: Beginner

SIZE: XS, Small, Medium, Large, 1X, 2X

Finished Chest

32 (35, 38½, 42, 45, 48) in. [81.5 (89, 98, 106.5, 114.5, 122) cm]
    Finished Length 18 (18, 19, 20 ½, 21½, 21½) in. [45.5 (45.5, 48.5, 52, 54.5, 54.5) cm]
    Note: Pattern is written for smallest size with changes for larger sizes in parentheses. When only one number is given, it applies to all sizes. To follow pattern more easily, circle all numbers pertaining to your size before beginning.

CORRECTIONS: None

Women's Shell

Lion Brand® Microspun

GAUGE:

15 sts = 4 in. [10 cm], 9 rows = 5 in. [12.5 cm] in V-st Pattern. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.

STITCH EXPLANATION:

V stitch (V-st) Work (dc, ch 1, dc) in indicated st or ch.

3-dc shell

Work 3 dc in indicated st or ch.

PATTERN STITCH

V-st Pattern
    Row 1 (WS):

Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), turn, dc in next dc, (V-st in ch-1 sp of next V-st, 3 dc in center dc of next 3-dc shell) across; end with dc in last 2 dc.
    Row 2: Ch 3, turn, dc in next dc, (3 dc in center dc of next 3-dc shell, V-st in ch-1 sp of next V-st) across; end with dc in last 2 dc.
    Repeat Rows 1 and 2 for pattern.

FRONT AND BACK (make 2)

Ch 60 (66, 72, 78, 84, 90).
    ]Row 1 (RS): Dc in 4th ch from hook (counts as 2 dc), [sk 1 ch, 3 dc in next ch (3-dc shell made), sk 2 ch, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch (V-st made), sk 1 ch] across; end with dc in each of last 2 ch - 9 (10, 11, 12, 13, 14) V-st.
    Repeat Rows 1 and 2 of V-st Pattern until there are a total of 20 (20, 20, 22, 22, 22) rows, end with a WS row. Fasten off.

Shape Armhole
    Row 1 (RS):

Sk first 7 sts, join yarn with sl st in next dc (last dc of V-st), ch 3 (counts as first dc), (3 dc in center dc of next 3-dc shell, V-st in ch-1 sp of next V-st ) across; end by working last V-st in 2nd to last V-st, dc in last dc of 2nd to last V-st, leave remaining sts unworked – 7 (8, 9, 10, 11, 12) V-st.
    Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), turn, dc in ch-1 sp of first V-st, (3 dc in center dc of next 3-dc shell, V-st in ch-1 sp of next V-st) across; end with dc in center dc of last 3-dc shell, dc in last dc – 6 (7, 8, 9, 10, 11) V-st.
    Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sl st in first dc, ch 3 (counts as dc), (V-st in ch-1 sp of next V-st, 3 dc in center dc of next 3-dc shell) across to last 2 dc; end with dc in next dc, leave last dc unworked.
    Row 4: Ch 3, turn, dc in center dc of first 3-dc shell, (V-st in ch-1 sp of next V-st, 3 dc in center dc of next 3-dc shell) across; end with dc in ch-1 sp of last V-st, dc in last dc – 5 (6, 7, 8, 9, 10) V-st.
    Rows 5-10 (10, 11, 11, 12, 12): Work even in V-st Pattern, beginning with Row 2 of pattern.

Shape Shoulders

Work as established over first 7 (9, 11, 13, 15, 17) sts. Turn. Leave remaining sts unworked. Work even for 2 more rows. Fasten off.
    Skip center 20 (22, 24, 26, 28, 30) sts for neck, join yarn in next st, work as established over remaining 7 (9, 11, 13, 15, 17) sts for 3 rows. Fasten off.

FINISHING

Sew shoulder and side seams. From RS, join yarn at side seam and work 2 rounds sc evenly spaced along armhole edge, joining with sl st at end of rounds. Fasten off. In same manner, join yarn at shoulder and work 2 rounds sc around neck edge. Join yarn at side seam of lower edge and work 2 rounds sc around lower edge. Weave in ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me take a stab at it, and it is confusing!! If you start the pattern, looks like you should have 2 remaining chains when you finish the first row, this is where you would place your last 2 DC's.....I would say that you should have 13 "V-stitch" in each row (according to the size you say that you are doing)

When it says to "repeat Rows 1 and 2 of V-st Pattern until there are a total of 20 (20, 20, 22, 22, 22) rows" I am going to say that you need 22 rows for the size that you are making. Hope that makes sense. I will try graphing it out quickly to be sure, but I think this is what they want...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, that is the number of V-stitches I should have! Like I said initially, this is my first attempt for a clothing item; thank you so much!! Hugs, Becky

10. Likes Anaisa, Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great!! Glad you got it, just graphed and that worked with the 2 chains at the end that you will be DC into! Fun huh? Thanks for the thought and challenge of the day!!

12. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad you got it. After reading the pattern I thought it was the number of v stitches you should have. Don't ever give up unless you are running thru the house screaming!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what I was doing awhile back and I ripped it out. It was the way the pattern was written and I couuld NOT get it and I have been crocheting for a very long time.
    Rosie is GOOD and always here to help.
    Have fun!

14. Likes beckypatt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for my info- what kind of yarn or thread are you using and what color?