Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: cap brims

Post Thanks / Like

cap brims

does anyone have any suggestion that would keep a brim firm. I have done the double strand brims but the don't stay frim after washing. and a dirty hat is yuck.

2. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if this would work or not, but, have you tried lining the brim with plastic canvas? Placing it in between the 2 sides of the brim. I have washed plastic canvas in the wash machine but I would not advise putting it into the dryer. Just a thought.--Jan

4. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Edie2 View Post
    does anyone have any suggestion that would keep a brim firm. I have done the double strand brims but the don't stay frim after washing. and a dirty hat is yuck.
    I use plastic,you can use old bottles or Javex ones,also you can buy the plastic in stores,but you'll have to crochet both sides,I hand wash mine

Post Thanks / Like
    What I do is make the brim like regular, then without breaking the yarn I make another brim continued off the first one just backwards I guess is the best way to put it. Then I fold it in half and single crochet around the edge to keep them together and whip stitch against the edge of the hat to close that side. Hope that makes sense, it's kind of hard to explain. Not sure about after washing though. I sell them. I haven't gotten any complaints

7. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Timtex. It is used for stiffening in purse bottoms and such. Works very well and is washable. Also, the plastic canvas would work well.