Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

New patterns or existing patterns

I'm just curious about something. When you are making something to sell, do you usually use an existing pattern that you bought from someone's website or downloaded from a free pattern site....or do you make up your own patterns?

2. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi! I cannot design and I use existing patterns.... I do not sell doilies though. I have tons of patterns and recharted some vintage patterns
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

4. Likes Landon, Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great question due to copy right laws etc; From my LIMITED research, if you are selling something you made from someone pattern, first you have to see if they say it's OK to sell, usually they say it is OK as long as you do not give out the pattern but give them credit and/or send people to their web site; with the internet there are so many posted patterns one needs to do research. Hope that I helped and not confused you. Happy crocheting.

6. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we do it all ways. I buy a few patterns but I mostly use free patterns and then sometimes I will use a pattern for the first one I make and then I will take parts of it and make it my own. Vintage patterns are usually free but some people are taking them and posting them on their sites to charge for them. I think that is wrong but to each his own.

8. Likes amanda, Landon, DebbieL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I buy many of my patterns and there is almost always something written on the pattern giving permission to sell what is made from the pattern...and a request to provide a link back to the author of the pattern IF the item is sold on the internet. Also, the authors of the patterns have the copyright to the pattern itself, so that IT cannot be copied, sold, etc. I would never dream of passing off someone else's PATTERN as my own!! Many of the free patterns issue the same "warnings". I've come across a few folks who won't give permission to sell finished items made from their patterns. So I file them in my notebook under "baby shower gifts"!

Post Thanks / Like
    I go along with Faye. I get a lot of patterns off the internet. But when it comes down to it ,I will do it my way. I decided for Christmas last year I made hats for all the "kids" But most of them didn't like them. I .had done a lot of them just to have something to work on in my purse. Some of those I sold . It was my pattern because I made them how I would want them. Now I am making car seat blankies for babies and I can't make them fast enough. I looked at a pattern, got the idea and make them how I think they should be. And I sell them. But I have a pattern of an afghan I am using for a wedding gift And I will have to follow it very carefully. Can they put directions and a picture of the afghan in a book and say I can't sell what I make from it?

11. Likes amanda, justplainjudy, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They can say anything but I don't let it bother me. If I want to sell what I made I will but I would never sell the pattern. To me they own the pattern not what I make.

13. Likes amanda, justplainjudy, Anaisa, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am learning the mechanics of the how to in crocheting and all crafts I do. I make everything up as I go.

15. Likes amanda, justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Texas transplant View Post
    I go along with Faye. I get a lot of patterns off the internet. But when it comes down to it ,I will do it my way. I decided for Christmas last year I made hats for all the "kids" But most of them didn't like them. I .had done a lot of them just to have something to work on in my purse. Some of those I sold . It was my pattern because I made them how I would want them. Now I am making car seat blankies for babies and I can't make them fast enough. I looked at a pattern, got the idea and make them how I think they should be. And I sell them. But I have a pattern of an afghan I am using for a wedding gift And I will have to follow it very carefully. Can they put directions and a picture of the afghan in a book and say I can't sell what I make from it?
    YES "THEY" CAN! If a designer has a copyright, gives terms for the use of the pattern and you don't keep to those terms, you can be sued for copyright infringement. Think for a minute: if you made a better mousetrap and patentented it, you would have exclusive rights to that mousetrap. Anyone who copied your mousetrap and sold it as their own would be guilty of patent infringement and you could sue them for a jillion bucks and probably win your case.
    If a pattern designer says not to copy the pattern or sell items made from it, you are bound by copyright laws to do as the designer says or risk being sued and have to pay damages.
    There are several levels of use of copyrighted handicraft patterns and here is a general guide:
    Use any way and sell if you want
    Use only for self or gifts and sell items made only with designer's permission
    Use only for self or gifts only with designer's permission and do not sell items made
    You DO NOT OWN anyone else's material simply because it can be obtained from the Internet. There is an excellent discussion of this subject on Knitters Paradise Forum!

17. Likes Anaisa, NanaFranna liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe if I made and sold things all the time I would worry about it but I don't make a lot to sell and I mostly use free patterns that have no restrictions. I have bought some patterns that had restrictions and I have made them and gave them away but not sold them. I write on the pattern do not copy or paid or free. If I make a mistake and someone wants to prosecute me for selling an item worth $2 then they will have to sue me.

19. Likes amanda liked this post