Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  192
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you hold your hook - like a table knife, or like a pencil?

I hold my hook like a table knife, and find it comfortable and I can crochet faster that way. I got curious and looked it up. What I found was interesting:

"If you've decided to learn how to crochet, once you have some pretty yarn and a good basic crochet hook, you are going to need to learn how to hold that hook. While there is no right way to hold a crochet hook, there are two basic styles. The pencil method was traditionally used, because it would make a woman's hand look more feminine. The knife method can also help reduce the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome."

Notice that they say the pencil method was used because it made a woman's hand look more feminine, but the knife method seems to be better for your hand and wrist. Just like high heels, we do something to look pretty, but it's bad for our bodies!

Just something for you "pencil" holders to think about.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I know I am wrong but I hold hook like a pen ... and I move left hand - it s wrong too
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

3. Likes justplainjudy, Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kl1000 View Post
    Hi. I know I am wrong but I hold hook like a pen ... and I move left hand - it s wrong too
    I don't think it's "wrong" if it is comfortable for you and doesn't bother your hand or wrist. The article said there was no right or wrong method.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to hold like a pencil but after I bought some ergonomical hooks I switched to the knife style. I think either is ok.

6. Likes justplainjudy, Carynjoyb, Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! I always think I have to change "moving hand" but I do not have time for it. I am sure I could crochet better doilies by right manner
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

8. Likes justplainjudy, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Larisa, your doilies couldn't get any better!
    Quote Originally Posted by kl1000 View Post
    Thank you! I always think I have to change "moving hand" but I do not have time for it. I am sure I could crochet better doilies by right manner

10. Likes justplainjudy, Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I hold mine more like a knife, but not exactly. Guess I hold it weird. I have been laughed at by older women when I was young for the way I held it. Hurt my feelings. They were rude! What does it matter if your work is neat and even and it's comfortable. I get to where the pattern tells me to go. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Larisa, I think your work is beautifull however you hold the crochet hook. Like Buggainok said how ever you hold the hook and you are comfortable using it that way is ""right'' for you. When I was trying to teach a woman here in the court, she told me I hold the hook different. But I am left handed and she is right handed. So of course my hook was different. Now I see what she may have been talking about. do I hold it like a pencil or a knife. Margaret.

13. Likes justplainjudy, Carynjoyb, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I hold mine like a chopstick, kind of like pencil hold. I don't have to twist my hand a lot, but however you hold the hook doesn't really matter if your stitches are even and it feels comfy to you!

15. Likes justplainjudy, Carynjoyb, Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    im a knife grip... but hey whatever works for you.

17. Likes justplainjudy, Carynjoyb, Landon liked this post