Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

What the Bleep was I thinking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

(honestly I have no Idea why I didn't think this one though a little better.)

lol I had this Brilliant idea to go to ancestry .com and do my family tree simple enough.

I have all the information on my moms side of the family minus a few dates here and there. Not hard to find those dates a few phone calls and I can be done with it. (that is unless like me and have 14 biological uncles and aunts plus mom and dad and not to mention 14 uncles and aunts that married into the family and the 100 + descendants and all those birthdays ! needless to say I didn't get very far.

and then not really think this through at all my dads side of the family (oh boy) not the closest family in the world, and then the problems begin. My dad is 75 and the baby of 13. There is a little bit of a lack of who to call and ask!

[/B] OMG I have 26 biological uncles and aunts[/B] I have no Idea how many cousins I have or if i can even count that high.

I do know this is going to be a project were I add one family a day if I can get that many done. I can see this project taking me a few years. Have to get more info on dads side before to long. Not a project I can put off for a few years.

but I really do think I need to do this. I called and talked to a cousin on dads side she is trying to do the same thing and getting no where fast. going to have to combine efforts.

Please some one tell me WHAT BLEEP WAS I THINKING??? lol
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 04-16-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

2. Likes justplainjudy, Val, Kathy B. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    all I can say is Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    You were thinking like a lot of others I wonder what you could find out how far back you could go, what other nationalities you might have, I have some German, and a couple of different Indian and who knows what else! My dad just says I am a oakie girl, I say Heinz 87 LOL! I wish you all the luck! LOVE YOUR FRIEND MANDA!

5. Likes justplainjudy, Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is a really big family!! Have fun researching it all!

7. Likes MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dunno what you WERE thinking but we now know WHAT you are thinking; lol Have fun and the family reunion will be where?LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Moms side has a family reunion very other year but my dads side they are not close at all they had a reunion 21 years ago and it almost ended in a fist fight and I managed to make one of my uncles mad. digest version I walked into a conversation were 4 of the aunts and uncles were talking about pictures that Grandpa had when he passed. They were trying to figure out where they were. Well about a month before grandpa had passed he game 3 of those pictures to me for myself and my 2 brothers. I said I had 3 of them Grandpa gave them to me just before he passed. I was 7 when this happened its the only kind thing I remember my grandpa doing. My one uncle TOLD me I had to send them to him and he would decide if I could keep them. I told him that decision was made 20 years ago by grandpa, and walked out. All I heard was some choice words. SO family reunions I don't think are their thing.

10. Likes MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have always wanted to look up my biological father's family. I didn't have any connection with him after he and my mother divorced. My sister was old enough to marry and move out of the house at the time so she got to stay in the same town as our father. We (my mother, brother and I) moved half way across the country and I never saw our father again. I was told a bunch of things about my sister and father that I now know to be lies which is why I never contacted them after I became an adult. He passed away back in 1995 and my sister and I just reconnected two years ago. We are making up for lost time now but I'm wondering about his family and all the family I missed out on.
    Last edited by BarbySue; 04-17-2013 at 07:42 AM.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean

12. Likes MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    it is nice to be able to do that.. my family is so small we can have a reunion at christmas or at a funeral....

14. Likes MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barby my dad and I don't have a great relationship there are a lot of hurt feelings and not much contact. I last seen my dad 21 years ago and have talked to him only 5 times on the phone so I kinda know how you feel. He has started to try and make amends. He was the alcoholic. (sorry to be so blunt) I feel he is the one that needs to try and fix the problems (as I said whole family is stubborn me included) But I will try and put a bit more effort in now. I would like to find out when my dads side of the family came to the US and where they came from.

I know my moms side of the family they are Volga Germans they left Germany (approx 1764) When Catherine the Great Ruled Russia and settles Hergoz Russia a small village near Saratov, Russia. Then They fled Russia when the Russian government started to enslave the German immigrants . My family Settled Hergoz KS in 1894 now known as Victoria Ks. My great great grandfather (I think I got the right number of greats right can never remember if its 2 or 3 greats) was the first settler in the US (of this particular group) to pass away only 5 days after reaching Hergoz ks he died of Pneumonia. The men stayed out in the cold wet weather and had the women and children stay in what shelter they had to protect them from the elements of a later winter storm. My great Grandfather Frank and Great Grandmother Elizabeth were born in Russia but My Grandpa and my Grandma were born in the US. making me a 3rd Generation american.

Now I am hoping I can track my dads family back to what ever country they came from. From what I can remember as a small child I was told I will find they came from Ireland or Scotland.

16. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my! Don't get me started on tracing ancestors. I have a huge notebook with family history in it. I have not had very good luck since I worked on it several years ago. My youngest brother started to do the same thing and he had a lot of info but met someone with our name (my maiden name) and he and my brother talked back and forth and he talked my brother into letting him take most of his info to Germany where he supposedly was writing a book about it. He was going to do that and send us a copy of what he wrote. My brother lost track of that man and we have never heard from him again. I guess he is in Germany somewhere, with all that info that my brother dug up, but where? I think I am at a standstill with what I have now. We traced my mother-in-law and father-in -law ancestors back to the 1700s. Don't have much on Dad's side and on Mom's it comes to a stand still with Mom's parents and grandparents because of divorce or death or whatever I have pretty much given up because I can't afford Ancestry.com. Good luck to you msBehaven with your searching for you ancestors.