Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Post Thanks / Like

why are my square sizes different?

I am currently crocheting squares (half-double crochet) in the hopes of joining them together to make an afghan. I decided I wanted an occasional different looking square so I made one of all shells and it was the right size. But when I tried doing the hdc as back loop only for texture, the squares shrank immeasurably! I don't understand how that could happen as the chains were the same size and length... any thoughts? I'm now thinking of finishing the number of blocks, arrange them as to color plots and frogging them and re-crocheting in single crochet, back loop only, into a multi-colored afghan. I'm getting really frustrated; my crochet hook is 5.5, I've watched videos on how to keep my stitches even and am watching all 24 of the Curtsy Crochet Hooks videos on crocheting. This is my first attempt at my own pattern and I want it to turn out nice but I'm thinking I'm a failure. any help? suggestions? should i frog them all and do a multicolor straight line afghan? It would be easier, I think... thanks for the help everyone.

2. Likes justplainjudy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    well, if the squares where the right size then they shrank with the half double crochet...hmmm how's your tension? I ask this because maybe you have loose shell stitches but your half double's are tight? Dunno.....as for a failure you are NOT; making your own pattern work takes time....hugs

4. Likes justplainjudy, Val, crocheting4u65 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be a number of things. Tension is one. My other main guess would be that you used different yarn? I've noticed that Red Heart especially is notorious for having yarns that aren't exactly the same ply even though they claim to be on the labels. You may need to adjust hook size for different stitches also.

6. Likes justplainjudy, tawnyafletcher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Momto3girls has the answer-different hook sizes!

8. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, I used a different color of Red Heart yarn. I've also noticed that different colors are thinner or thicker, which is weird. I don't know how to adjust hook sizes, I'm still pretty new at this. I just figure I'll frog them in different color orders and make a one piece quilt where gauge doesn't matter so much. Thanks for the help. Oh - my tension is good, I have a good set up to keep my tension loose. That I do understand, lol! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    If square is too small use larger hook. If too big use smaller hook. Maybe this will help on a future project. I admire you for making your own pattern. Don't forget the love in every stitch!

11. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep plugging along! I'd certainly try a larger hook size (or two) before frogging it. I really want to see the finished blanket. Sounds wonderful. I'm sure you'll get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    when you change for regular crochet to back loop only it bends the fabric forward and backwards hence the grooves or texture. That slight difference over multible rows adds up and you get the size change. you can try adding rows to make it match or you can not do the BLO and do a different pattern for the texture you want to give to your work.

14. Likes justplainjudy, tawnyafletcher liked this post