Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Attaching Stars

Post Thanks / Like

Attaching Stars

I crocheted a flag afghan but I'm having trouble attaching the 50 stars within the blue field. The stars are crocheted and are supposed to be in rows of 4 and 5 each. Does anyone have a trick to share on how I can get them on there straight and evenly placed? The field is all double crochet. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently made a flag of plastic canvas and this is the sequence of how the stars should be placed:
    Row 1 would have 5 stars equally placed across
    Row 2 would have 4 stars, equally placed in the spaces between the stars in the row above
    These 2 rows get repeated 4 more times then end with row 1 (5 stars)
    I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I've got the pattern figured out, it's just that doing this on double crochet makes it very hard to place them properly spaced and straight, and then sew them on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have never attempted what you are doing but would attaching the center first then the "arms" of the stars help?

5. Likes GrammaJoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great suggestion! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    When I'm sewing multiple elements to a piece, I pin them all into place first, then set the piece down, stand back, and look at it from all different angles. Sometimes I walk away from it awhile, and come back and look again. This helps me to make sure that my rows are straight or to decide if I'm happy with the placement I've chosen. Sometimes I'm too eager to pick up the needle, and that's usually a mistake on my part.

8. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    More good advice! Thanks. Do you have any tricks for sewing these stars on a field of double crochet? It's not a tight surface like it would be if it was single crochet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done two items with appliqued small pieces recently. I used a tube of (kinda glue) called Liquid Stitch that I bought at Wal Mart. Love it. It holds really good and I like that there are no stitches showing on the back. FYi. Good luck, and however you do it I know it will be beautiful.

Annette

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, a woman after my own heart! I love your suggestion. Off to the fabric store to look for Liquid Stitch tonight! Thank you so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not crazy about about using liquid stitch or Beacon fabric glue on an afghan. I don't mind affixing appliques to clothing that way. I think if you cut a length of the white (star) yarn and split the 4 plies (assuming you used WW yarn) into 2 plies to use for the stitching. If you are careful when you stitch the white stars on to the blue field of DC's, it might not show through if you insert the needle in between the plies of the DC's without going through to the back. I'm hoping you can understand what I am trying to say. I don't know how else to describe this.