Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Repetitive motion syndrome HELP

Hello all. I have been crocheting large teddy bears and currently working on a Mickey Mouse, but awoke about a week ago with the middle hand joint (where my middle finger joins my hand) red, swollen and sore. I went to the clinic at work and was diagnosed with repetitive motion syndrome caused by all the crocheting I've been doing. I was given an anti-inflammatory and told to ice/heat it, and (gasp) told not to crochet for a while. That's helped some, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and how you've dealt with it. I don't know what to do with myself without a crochet hook in my hand (although with gardening season coming up I would have been slowing down anyway).

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry to hear this....I haven't had it that bad, ever, but I used those 'gloves' when my fingers hurt....do a bit of thread work...hmm don't know what they are really called but they are in the crochet section. I have had them for a while, I bought two w/ those 50% coupons....hope this helps. So sorry you have to take a break...but a garden break is always good too.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Do repetitive motion long enough and it becomes carpal tunnel syndrome. I crochet, play piano and type(keyboard). When I was 25 I had to have both hands operated on for Carpal Tunnel. Then, because I worked with a computer all day, 25 years later I had to have it done again on my right hand. Dr forbid me to do any of those activities and I felt TOTALLY lost. Was SO glad when I healed up and I could pick up my crochet hooks again.

4. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jodiahs View Post
    Hello all. I have been crocheting large teddy bears and currently working on a Mickey Mouse, but awoke about a week ago with the middle hand joint (where my middle finger joins my hand) red, swollen and sore. I went to the clinic at work and was diagnosed with repetitive motion syndrome caused by all the crocheting I've been doing. I was given an anti-inflammatory and told to ice/heat it, and (gasp) told not to crochet for a while. That's helped some, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and how you've dealt with it. I don't know what to do with myself without a crochet hook in my hand (although with gardening season coming up I would have been slowing down anyway).
    I don't know what is wrong with my hands but I do know that last night while working with cutting plastic canvas and ripping out yarn , my fingers started cramping to the point where I couldn't bend my fingers, more than one of them at one time. I couldn't close my hands to hold what I was working on. It didn't hurt but the fingers were just stuck open and wouldn't close and I had to literally push my fingers against my belly to close them! It was an uncomfortable feeling but not painful. Has that ever happened to anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like trigger finger. When I have it the finger feels funny but doesn't hurt but the finger doesn't bend until I bend it back in place. Not a diagnosis but that is what I have sometimes but more often I have numbness in my right hand. I have a brace that I can wear if it gets bad. I can still crochet in the brace but not very fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine started with O.A and too much plastic canvas cutting. I just slowed down and had a couple of things on the go / 2 different types of projects to ease my pain / disscompfort. jodiahs hope your get better soon. Gardening another LINK GIRLS OK?? Susan M J_

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine did just the opposite. It would bend, but would not open. Dr said it was a trigger finger and sent me to ortho. Had a steroid shot but it didn't work. So, surgery was scheduled. Day of surg, Dr checked ring finger and then checked all the others. Thumb was 'clicking' and would not bend properly. So, he killed 2 birds with 1 stone and did both ring finger and thumb. Made crocheting a little difficult because of it. Now, I'm back to normal. I just hope noting else goes wrong with my hands. Otherwise, I'll be up a creek without a paddle!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My fingers lock up sometimes while I'm crocheting and is Very Painfull. I have to move them apart with my other hand, then rub them till the pain is gone. Sometimes have to stop crocheting for the day because they lock right back up.
    Have a Great Day !!! Kathy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I don't know if that helped or not, but at least i'm not alone with it! I have gone back to working on the PC and so far, so good. And twinfaye... I have really got a long way towards finishing the Santas. I have already cut red plastic for the backs and I will just stitch them to the backs if that's ok with you.

Guess what.... I took a break this afternoon because the temp was about 70 and so sunny so I took my 3-wheeler out for a ride. I rode about 2 miles on it. That really wore me out because I haven't even done any walking lately. It feels so funny when I stop, take my feet off the pedals and put my feet down on the ground. It seemed kinda hard to pedal but I will ride again in a day or two and it will get easier. (hugs) Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    Redhead Go Girl Go on your 3-wheeler. Im getting one this summer, a place who is giving us a deal for giving them 4 Bikes all but one works. I hope I can do it/ ride it I mean. Every otherday and walk around the block or......2.??? We had little snow but rain all day, 7;30pm still raining lightly. Are you going to or donating to" 2014 HookersGathering" I cant, dont drive. I hope to send some little things for them. Take Care and keep peddling. Susan M J