Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Crochet rattles for baby.

I have a book from Annie's attic called itty bitty animals. There are 15 animals and are all under 4" in length and you use #10 crochet thread. I want to crochet a couple of them and make them into rattles for my GD. I would appreciate information from anyone on how to make them into rattles. Like what to put in them when I stuff them etc. I would like to make them so they will still rattle when washed. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    beads in a small plastic container
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

3. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmm, that's a really good question. Some sort of 'bead' that can be washed....w/ babies I do worry about something that can 'break open'....as I'm sure you do....if you crochet around a dowel rod it will make it softer...no? Hmmm I will be curious of others ideas....happy crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago, I use to make them. nothing fancy, just round balls with rattles in them. for the rattle, I bought those little plastic cat balls, some has bells in them, some has beads. They are sturdy and usually take a beating, but to be safe, I used a peice of nylon from a old pair and stretched and sewed it over the ball just in case it broke, I didn't want the small pieces to come out for my baby to choke on. I have also used the large bells inside them.
    Have a Great Day !!! Kathy

6. Likes amanda, Anaisa, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I saw rattles for sale at Hobby Lobby. Little things that you insert into the toy. I'll look again next time I go

8. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have any old empty plastic pill containers (you know the kind that the pharmacist uses)...They usually have a locktight lid and work perfectly...put in some dried beans or some old beads from a necklace/bracelet that you no longer wear...Be sure and pad it well and of course choose a pattern that will work well with the shape of the container...

10. Likes amanda, Val liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Estee, thats a great idea and not expensive and its child proof!! Thanks for the idea Hugs, Kathy
    Have a Great Day !!! Kathy

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are crocheting a round ball shape, before you finish closing it off, you put some cotton stuffing in and around the little container filled with beads or plastic pellets etc. Make sure the container is surrounded by the stuffing to keep it nice and soft. You could also stuff the handle.

13. Likes amanda, Kathy B. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use cat toys they are usually a small ball form with a bell inside. I use them all the time in baby toys they are plastic so wash up nice. I get them at Walmart or a pet store.

15. Likes amanda, Kathy B. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I find that if you put a couple of small jingle bells in a Kinder egg, or film container it works well. If
    you are concerned that water would get in when laundered you could crazy glue the top on, but I haven't
    had any problem with that. The only issue would be if the finished rattle is large enough to hold the
    container with some stuffing around it. I have also heard of others buying cat toys, the plastic ball type
    with bells in them, at the dollar store to use in rattles.

17. Likes amanda liked this post