Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

QUICK chemo hats?

I'm looking for any suggestions for a QUICK chemo hat. I have a friend who had her first treatment last week and is already losing HUGE clumps. I'd like to make something up for her today if I could.

Post Thanks / Like
    For quick patterns go to oooops caps.html

3. Likes Magnolia Blossom, NewarkCA Janet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I just finished researching chemo hats for my friend also. A few things that were stressed on the cancer hat site were: 1) use cotton thread, so it breathes. 2) don't use an open-weave pattern, that would show their bare skin. 3) If you wash it before giving it to the recipient, use fragrence-free soap. I just used a simple beanie pattern. Easy Cool Cap Crochet Pattern | FaveCrafts.com -- The pattern is for a toddler so remember to use the adult size in the ( ).
    p.s.- you might want to check out a picture I just posted "funny hats". Prayers for you and your friend. Patti

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much, Patti! I appreciate it!

6. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I should think any basic hat pattern could work, you may want to adjust the length to just above the ears though.

That's a nice thing you are doing for her. After going through chemo myself I know she will appreciate this very much. I wore a wig most of the time, and a scarf tied in the back the rest, but a hat would have been more comfortable at times. I hadn't gotten back into crocheting at that point.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I am doing them too and found a simple pattern on crochet.about.com good luck these work up quick too.

9. Likes justplainjudy, Momto3girls liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

chemo cap

Here is a link for a pretty cap made with RED HEART® “Eco-Cotton™ Blend.

Chemo Cap Crochet Pattern | Red Heart

11. Likes justplainjudy, NewarkCA Janet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Although i lost my son i remember when he used to loose huge clunps as well. Some one bought him a hat that says "Cancer Sucks". if i fine it and could sypher the pattern i will send it t you.

13. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Being a recent cancer patient myself, I can tell you that I preferred to wear something stylish and cute. While cotton yarn would be nice for summer time hats, a soft yarn of any kind also works, especially for winter months. As mentioned before, you don't want to use a stitch that is open and shows the head underneath. Even if you do a basic double crochet pattern and add a flower to it, it becomes fun. I personally don't like the hats to fit too tight. In other words.... I feel like it's not a lot different than showing my head! lol I made it a goal to donate 100 caps for chemo to my local cancer center. With the help of friends, we have donated over 160 caps. I've made over 90 of them myself with the goal to get to 100 myself. It's been a fun and rewarding project. I always use different patterns. No two are the same. Some of them have not been the best, some of them are time consuming.... but I have truly enjoyed the journey. It's been a great learning experience for me and has helped to improve my crocheting skills. I purchased a book called "Chemo Caps and Wraps" by Annies Attic. I made one of each of the hats in that book. Many of the patterns in there are time consuming, others not, but a couple are my favorite hats I've made. Mostly, I just got my patterns from many sites off the internet for free. You can check out my Pinterest page for many patterns. Crochet -- Free Patterns Also... I have logged every hat donated on my facebook page. This will give you an idea of what kinds of hats I've done. Some I like more than others... but the point is, that it's been a blast to donate them. It's made my journey and recovery have more meaning. Here's a link to my facebook album of photos. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5928114&type=3 Let me know if you have questions. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Referring to the Red Heart pattern listed above.... This is a cute pattern. I made one to donate. It is a little more time consuming than some and is in two pieces that need to be stitched together. It's cute though.