Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Has Anyone Tried This? (Unusual Thread Dying Technique)

My current crochet project is making some embellishments for an old pair of denim shorts. I've had these shorts for over ten years, and I love them. Unfortunately, they are really starting to show my love. I've made lace trim for the hems, a filet butterfly element to cover one hole, both in size 10 thread, and an Irish Lace piece to cover another hole in size 20. Now I want to make some butterflies, flowers, etc., to randomly place around my shorts to tie it all together. I want to use size 20 thread for these embellishments but the only other size 20 thread I have is badly stained and I know from experience that the stain will not come out. The only solution I can think of is to die the thread, preferably before I use it. Since I'm on a limited budget, I can't just go out and purchase fabric die, and I'm not real thrilled with tea or coffee dying. So I looked around this morning and my craft supplies table caught my eye. I don't have any Sharpie markers or I would have used them, but I DO have watercolors! I know, from experience once again, that watercolors on clothing do NOT wash out. LOL Don't ask! So I've wound a good amount of the thread on a spare cardboard center (yes, I tend to never really throw something out that I think I can use) and painted a rainbow of colors on it. I have it drying right now, but my question is this: Have you ever tried this? And were your results satisfactory if you did?

I found this link to an article about someone panting a crocheted lace trim with watercolors, it gives me hope!

2. Likes cybarra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I had some white 20 that was old that I got from my grandmas place and we used Cascade to bleach it back out. Yes, Cascade dish washing detergent, the liquid kind. Be careful what you use it on because it will bleach out what ever you put in it.
    “The memory is a wonderful treasure chest for those who know how to pack it.”
    --- author unknown.

4. Likes MarjorieCrochets liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The watercolors sound like a great idea. I never tried it, but I don't see why you couldn't. Can't wait to see how it comes out. Annette

6. Likes MarjorieCrochets liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL I think I've had another brain fart. Here I thought it was size 20 and it's size 30! Anyway, it's dry now, and rewound on another spool. I want to take photo's but I'm out of batteries for my camera... Unless I steal them from the tv remote control? Maybe hubby will never notice?

Oh yes, and I have tried dishwasher detergent to remove stains. It works great on baby stains especially. Not so hot on nicotine stains unfortunately.

8. Likes doe1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How well does the color stay from the water colors?
    --- author unknown.

Post Thanks / Like
    It does turn a bit pastel from washing and rinsing but I like that effect. I have a nightdress that I was lazy and wiped my paintbrush on one evening. Two years and countless washing and drying and you can still see the brush strokes! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    So can you make it variegated? I guess this would be possible...
    --- author unknown.

Post Thanks / Like

Watercolor Ombre Rainbow Thread Experiment

I 'borrowed' the batteries from the TV remote to take these!
    I used water color pencils and water to paint the size 30 thread, (hopefully) set the color with rubbing alcohol, washed and rinsed then dried the thread. I love the subtle variations in color and can't wait to crochet something with it. Now to find the perfect pattern!
    Attached Images Attached Images Has Anyone Tried This? (Unusual Thread Dying Technique)-crochetthreadexperiment-002-jpg Has Anyone Tried This? (Unusual Thread Dying Technique)-crochetthreadexperiment-001-jpg Has Anyone Tried This? (Unusual Thread Dying Technique)-crochetthreadexperiment-003-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doe1974 View Post
    So can you make it variegated? I guess this would be possible...
    I think that's what I did, although I've never really grasped the difference between variegated and ombre.

14. Likes doe1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Um, I dunno if this will help; but I recently purchased a herb book and it talks about herbal dyes.....I plan on trying it once I get my garden going again.

16. Likes MarjorieCrochets, andyj liked this post