Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Happy to find you all

I am new at crochet talk and thrilled to find a like-minded group of hookers!!I know I'll be able to get a lot of tips and info from all of you experienced crocheters and I hope I can add a bit now and then.

I've been crocheting (on and off) for about 50 years!! Started young when my grannie taught me--stopped as a teen (it just wasn't cool) and stared again when my kids lost a scarf or mitten nearly every day. Stopped again when life got too hectic and started when I needed something to help me quit smoking. That was 20 years ago and haven't stopped crocheting yet--I did stop smoking (thank goodness).

I have 10 grandchildren (9 boys and 1 girl), so I've done a lot of baby stuff. I have recently started to teach crochet at our local craft store. It's not too much but gives me just a little pocket cash. Love to learn new techniques. I'm working on Astrakhan (not sure of spelling) stitch in a cotton rug for my bath. It's fun to do and will be very absorbent.

That's it for now (probably too much for you). Talk to you again.

Magua (what my oldest grandson called me when he was a tot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and Welcome! I just logged in to this site too. So I'm new too. I've done a lot of crocheting in the past but haven't crocheted lately. I've found out that it helps to have a pattern when you're crocheting a sweater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the forums! It is nice to meet you and we would love to hear from your experiences as well. You are welcome to post pictures of your work here in the forums as well! Thanks for joining us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Magua, welcome to crochet talk! I hope you will be posting pictures of that rug you are making. There are so many of us that do enjoy seeing each other's projects. -janine

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Magua! I am Larisa darling doily maker
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Magua and Jean Marie! Welcome. we are so glad you joined us.
    Magua, have never heard of the stitch you mentioned. Hope you can show it to us when you're finished with it. Lawana

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdie, welcome and happy crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be happy to post a photo of my rug.

It's an easy stitch worked without turning the item after the first row.

Chain 43 (or whatever length you want).
    (Row 1) Turn and double crochet in 4th stitch and in every chain across.
    (Row 2) Chain 3 (you can actually chain more depending on how long you want the loop to be). DO NOT TURN. Working from left to right slip stitch in front loop of 2nd dc, chain 3, slip stitch in front loop of next dc and every dc across.
    (Row 3) Chain 3, double crochet in back (unused) loop of next stitch and all stitches across.

Repeat Row 2 & 3 until piece reaches desired length. Finish off.

That's it!! Give it a try.

9. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there and welcome to the site. There are a lot of helpful people here and we could all use an knew view to an old craft. I look forward to chatting with you. thank you for the explationation of the stitch you mentioned. I'll have to give it a whirl.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Magua, I'm new here too, just found this site in early March! I too am thrilled to have so many wonderful people to share with...I am home alone a lot due to being on disability, and all of a sudden the light bulb in this dense head of came on and said "why don't you take up crochet again"! I, like you, had to give it up when my life got hectic with work & kids and such, but now have plenty of time and needed a creative outlet that I could share with others. I have 3 granddaughters, and they have discovered you can crochet American Girl Doll clothes, so guess what Noni (that's what they call me) will be doing? Hope I can master it! Back when I used to crochet we didn't have the computers like now, and I am loving being able to communicate with everyone! Welcome aboard, hope to see you around soon!
    !

12. Likes GrammaJoe, Magnolia Blossom liked this post