Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking help with yarn types

I found a beautiful pattern on DROPS Design page the link is:

Crochet DROPS tunic with mussel pattern in “Alpaca” and “Cotton Viscose”. Size S - XXL ~ DROPS Design

It is calling for 1 thread Alpaca and 1 thread Cotton Viscose (double thread).

Can anyone give me more clarity on these yarns. I don't want to use Alpaca...too expensive and what do they mean (double thread)? Does that mean I will be working with 3 strands of yarn at a time? One alpaca and 2 cotton?

This is a beautiful summer pattern and I can't see that it should be a heavy weight for summer.

Any suggests will be truly accepted
    Dance is the hidden language of the soul

http://otsegodance.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Teri, I told myself I wasn't going to suggest anything to anyone anymore because I am so out dated, but I read the other day that it didn't matter what yarn you use as long as your gauge is correct.

3. Likes amanda, Anaisa, cybarra, missro007, MeerKat, Teri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Magnolia, that is sort of the answer I was hoping for. Many times I see a pattern that I just love ,but, I am limited as to types of yarn where I live. Walmart is the only place within an hour traveling time that I can buy yarn, and their yarns are limited. I hate buying yarn online since I think with postage it is way more expensive.
    As it is I crochet tight and sometimes I have to go up 1 hook size so I try to keep track of my gauge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Teri, I wanted some Red heart Luster Sheen and couln't find it anywhere. I'm in your situation, have to travel 45 mi 1 way to get to a store other than Wal-Mart.Went on-line to Wal-Mart. com and found what I needed. Ordered it and when it came in went to Wal-Mart and got it. No postage that way. If it had come to the house it was $7+ postage. I also don't use credit cards on line, so I paid at the store in advance. Worked out great for me. Look at their site and see if you can find something you like that way.
    So glad you liked my answer. Losing my confidence some. Hugs. Lawana

6. Likes amanda, Teri liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Its Telling You You Need To Use One Strand Of Each Type Of Threads, If I were to Crochet it i would try making it using two strands of this yarn

Yarndex Knitting + Crochet Directory - Garnstudio Cotton Viscose Yarn

If i am not mistaken i think they are giving you a choice on the aplaca the uni or mix One of those with the cotton viscose yarn

I'm Like you using all three would be far to thick.
    ]I tend to disagree i think it matters allot as to what material you want to use in a project..especially something you want to adorn yourself with. jmho
    Last edited by cyicrochet; 03-22-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Teri, looked at the pattern and thought that I would use a sport weight yarn or a cotton yarn. I also agree with Magnolia. As long as your gauge is correct, then it doesn't matter what yarn you use. Just my opinion.--Jan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishjl View Post
    Teri, looked at the pattern and thought that I would use a sport weight yarn or a cotton yarn. I also agree with Magnolia. As long as your gauge is correct, then it doesn't matter what yarn you use. Just my opinion.--Jan
    Ya'll are making me feel so good by agreeing with me. Beginning to think I'm just an old woman with nothing to say that anyone wants to hear. Thank you and Teri. Feel better now. Hugs, Lawana

10. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom View Post
    Ya'll are making me feel so good by agreeing with me. Beginning to think I'm just an old woman with nothing to say that anyone wants to hear. Thank you and Teri. Feel better now. Hugs, Lawana
    Lawana...never feel that way! I believe that the older you are the wiser and more experienced you are. I would prefer an answer from someone who has been there and done that than form someone who is inexperienced and not really sure of the correct answer. I know I will get a good solid answer from someone who knows their stuff. Thank you for ALL your input and keep giving it to me : )

12. Likes amanda, cybarra, Sonnettina liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom View Post
    Lawana, I agree, the longer you crochet the better you get at it. You can answer the question better than some one who has only been crocheting a couple of years, and Crocheting is an old fashion craft, so who better than some one who has a lot of experience..
    Last edited by MeerKat; 03-25-2013 at 12:53 AM.

14. Likes amanda, cybarra, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is so nice of you, Meercat! Are you feeling better today? Did your legs stop bouncing. I was worried about you living alone like you do. I hope you are A-O-K now. Thanks!

16. Likes amanda, MeerKat liked this post