Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm addicted to buying yarn

I am seriously addicted to buying yarn. I guess there could be worse things to be addicted to. All of us here love to crochet and we also all love seeing the wonderful and beautiful things others are working on and have made, etc.

Some of you probably think it's kinda "funny" and can relate to me when I say "I'm addicted to buying yarn." It makes me laugh sometimes too. I have spent over $1,000 on yarn in the past couple of months. I have all of my brand new yarn in plastic bags, sorted and stored in big clear plastic bins. Thank goodness I don't have a "man" in my life to criticize all the $$ I've spent on yarn LOL... I guess there are always blessing in everything. For me, buying yarn is a way to escape from the stresses going on in my life. I'm very much aware of that but still, I continue to buy more...

It's getting to the point where I could seriously be on a TV episode of "Hoaders" with all the tons of brand new yarn I've bought. Thankfully I can afford my addiction, at least I can so far... But this is really getting ridiculous, it's becoming a serious problem for me.

I've been a single mom for almost 20 years, my 2 boys are both away from home now, both have been in college. My youngest son, Kevin, has been living with my parents in another state while he's in college. Kevin has been such a challenge for me, especially since he was about 14, he's my "free spirit" child and I love that about him. Kevin finished his first semester in college with a 4.0 GPA. Last Wednesday, he came home with a letter from the school congratulating him for making the Dean's List..... And he promptly announced that he's quitting school... and he did. My poor sweet son is such a kind-hearted young man, and he's also such a wounded little boy. It breaks my heart to know how much he's been so emotionally beat down by his dad. His whole life, Kevin has heard his dad say "You're just an idiot" "You're so stupid" "You're never going to amount to anything" on and on and on... It's so hard for us parents to sit back and watch our kids make big mistakes in their lives. I know it's not the end of the world, and that my son will be "fine" eventually. Still... it's so stressful to me. I want to just jump in the car and drive to where he is, and get him - I want to "fix it" for him. But I know I cannot do that, it wound't be good for Kevin.

So I buy yarn...

xoxo
    Shelley

2. Likes yourk4@aol.com liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, When I got ready to move out of a house that we had been in for 20 years, I had to do something about my stash. I found that a hospital in Austin had a group that took material and yarn and made stuffed animals for the kids in the hospital. I asked my next door neighbor if he would drive all the stuff into town. The ladies met us at the doors and as the stuff came pouring out of that van , the ladies had tears in their eyes. I heard one say Oh, there's the teddy bear I have been wanting to do. So there had been a reason for me stuffing that closet. Now after 4 years in this senior housing I've done the same thing. Yarn has changed so over the years. There are several ladies here that like to knit but can't afford the yarn. I gave one woman some yarn and after Christmas she told me she made an afghan for her son. If you think you need to" straighten "out the yarn place , find a seniorcenter, they would love to have some for arts and crafts. But yarn is something that is your's and only you can do something with it. If you give it away or make something then give that away it is your call. Or put it in a plastic box Like me and shove it under the bed. that is you'rs So I think that all of us have a stash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shelley, I too am a yarn "hoarder". My stash has gone beyond SABLE (Stash Accummulated Beyond Life Expectancy). I love getting new boxes from yarn companies and planning what I'll do with the beautiful yarns I buy. Thankfully my husband is very understanding about my "addiction", though I think he's getting a little tired of trying to get around in our over stuffed house. Haven't figured out yet why I buy so much yarn. Think it has something to do with missing the father I never got approval from when he was alive - keep thinking if I can just make something beautiful enough he would have approved...
    Hugs,
    Carol

5. Likes yourk4@aol.com liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    hey Carol, What part of San Antonio are you from? I live north in New Braunfels It is strange, I felt I never got my father's notice either. My sis was 3 years older than me and she was a grade A student ,tops in her class. When I got into school I had better things to do than be like my sister. He was always talking about she did this and she did that. I found I could intertain myself with a book up in the apple tree. I left the house when I was 17 . And being left hand, when I did any thing except cook, no one could help me. But now youknow I do the crocheting for my enjoyment and the colors I like. I have a big star afghan done in brown, white and varigated red brown and white. It reminds me of a chocolate cherry. I love it but both of my girls turned up their noses at it. So one day I will find someone to give it to. So I not only have all the yarn in the boxes but I have the finished work,too. Shall you and I get together and change colors Hope you have agood evening. Margaret

7. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was a yarn addict, still would be if I could afford it, when I was crocheting about 15 years ago, I think I had a delivery everyday, just couldn't pass up the sales, I bought mine online, plus when they had free shipping, I would really stock up.. For yarn I use those "space bags, they are wonderful you put your yarn in neatly then take your vacuum and suck out all the air, you can have loads of space for stacking them.. I wish it worked with thread, but with the cardboard rolls they just don't work the same, but the bags are clear so you can see what is in the bags..

9. Likes Butterflyrose, yourk4@aol.com liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Margaret, I live in SW San Antonio near Lackland AFB. Your afghan sounds beautiful! I can't resist chocolate covered cherries! I work a lot in purples and teals. Just finished knitting a Lazy Girl Shawl in Teal and Coral and it came out really pretty. Giving it to a friend in one of my knitting groups. Now working on a crocheted afghan in blush, burgundy, blue, green and beige - done in blocks. With me it was my little sister that got all the attention, real sick when she was little, then a straight A student, etc. Funny, I started out left handed, but they made me change to right hand - now I use either for most things. Can't crochet left handed though. We should try to get together some time. Hope you have a great day. Hugs, Carol

11. Likes Butterflyrose, yourk4@aol.com liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stands up....my name is Anaisa, and I try so hard not to hoard yarn...but, last weekend I gave in and bought some more.....I will try harder to make projects w/ what I have BEFORE I buy again...LOL

13. Likes Butterflyrose, yourk4@aol.com liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a novice crocheter of 2 years and my yarn stash is building! Trying hard to control the urge to buy more but...the colors are so pretty. Thankfully, I can still go into the store, admire the yarn and walk away!

Pixieglitter, if you're interested in donating; schools would be happy to have some of your yarn for arts and crafts, math, social studies, science and language arts projects. As a retired teacher, I appreciated donations.

Texas, that star afghan sounds so beautiful! Could you post a picture of it? When I decide to make another large project, that's my interest!
    Last edited by Butterflyrose; 03-08-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

15. Likes dragondrummer, yourk4@aol.com liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shelly, I understand what you mean by buying to relieve stress, when my daughter and her ,Now, x-husband was giving me fits I went on a buying spree, but my weakness then was clothes and yarn, I knew why I was buying but just couldn't help myself. Some of the clothes I have only worn once and a couple I never wore, gained so much weight they don't fit me anymore, I think we substitute things just to keep our minds occupied. Thank God she dumped the bum and is now married to the sweetest guy..

17. Likes dragondrummer, yourk4@aol.com liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Yarn Stash

I read everyone's post about yarn hoarding. I feel much better now when I look at all the yarn I have in the living room, the bedroom, the closets, the bureau. I cannot resist buying a skein every single time I am in a store. Even if I don't use it, I always think I will do something with it but I often don't!! But like I said, I feel much better now. lol

19. Likes dragondrummer, MeerKat liked this post