Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

HEHEHE I found a pattern my mom made

I went though a box of moms stuff and found a pattern

OK my mom did not read pattern so to find a pattern she wrote is a bit scary (I'm going to frame it) this pattern is for place mats I remember seeing them on the table when I was much younger but I cant remember if they were 8 or 9 sided I do know they were on a round table (trying to remember over 30 years ago). (I corrected her spelling mistakes for you as well) she was very talented at crocheting. but she could not read a pattern or write one. so all her crocheting she made swatches and counted stiches. I have several swatches that she crocheted but so far i have only found 2 actual patterns that are in her hand writing this is one of them the other is much longer.

I am guessing the H is her hook size I know this was a favorite hook size when she passed away she had 10 H hooks

placemats H
    red chain 3 circle
    8 or 9 singles (this is unclear as to what she wote it looks as though she wrote both numbers one over each)
    2 singles in each
    2 singles in one and 1 singles
    white 2 and 2
    3 and 2
    4 and 2
    blue 5 and 2
    6 and 2
    7 and 2 continue until its big enough

I can hear my mom now calling me a stink pot for giggling at her but she knows I love her

Talked to my brother just a few minutes ago and he told me he remember them but there was 2 sets of them. they were given to him and his exwife and his ex kept them. He thinks they were 8 sided but was not sure one set was done the way it says and the other he told me he had suggested that she reversed the colors and put the blue in the center. and do red and white stripes like a flag and embroidered some stars in the center HE said he is not sure how many rows there were of blue but he did say that she had the correct number of stripes for a flag but i am not sure if she changed the number of rows down in red and white
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 03-03-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: my brother and I talked and he remembered them better then I did
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds very pretty, and interesting, are you going to make one? if you do, share a picture.

3. Likes justplainjudy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will eventually but i have so many other projects I have to do and there are the 5 afghans my mom was working on when she passed that I want to finish and just can't bring myself around to do yet mom passed 2 and 1/2 years ago and I still have trouble dealing with it. when I pick up one of the afghans she was working on tears start rolling.

mom passed away 1 1/2 years ago not 2 and 1/2 years ago mom was born july 10 1940 passed july 7 2011
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 03-04-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: wanted to crocet my typo
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

5. Likes justplainjudy, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hugs to you Eva! She is and will be forever in your heart and soul hun. And you are so lucky that you can hug her thru her unfinished afghans. Its so very very hard losing a parent, 11 years and I still shed a tear for my father

7. Likes justplainjudy, Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh what memories you brought back!! My Mom could figure out any pattern although she could not read it. My sister and I spent at least one evening a week with her (called her every day) and I would read the pattern, and she would crochet. Often she finished the row before I was done reading it. Mom crocheted The Last Supper from a fillet pattern. She used bedspread thread. I can remember her marking her place with straight pins. What a beautiful piece. It turned out quite large (approx.5X3). We backed with black velvet and framed it. It hung on the wall of the dining room. It is still in the family and still hangs on a dining room wall.

9. Likes justplainjudy, Anaisa, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    cute story thanks for sharing.

11. Likes Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a wonderful find of your mothers pattern. It's things like that that hold the most meaning to me of my parents, old recipes that were hand written, cards or anything, It is the handwriting that is truly personal and one of a kind. Nice memories for you and your brother.

I made doilies in the same pattern as ones my grandmother had made and were in my house growing up, hers were beginning to deteriorate after so long, and I just love having them again so I can use them, they may have been made by me, but I always think of her when I see them.

Judi G

13. Likes justplainjudy, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    on your pattern I would say it probably doesn't matter if you 8 or 9 as long as you are consistent then each round is increased by the same # of st so if you do 8 each time you go around you would increase by 8 evenly sounds like they would be very pretty. Sorry for your loss. I know when my oldest sister passed away she had started and afghan and I was elected to finish it it was an honor to finish something that my sister had started and gave it back to her oldest daughter. I was also elected to finish a tatting piece that my husbands aunt had started. I finished it and had it framed with her picture and the year she started it and then I put my picture with the year I finished it. I think one of my girls has it now.
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

15. Likes Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a nice thing to do with the tatted piece especially. I love having the pictures and information on it. A wonderful keepsake for the girls.
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by crocheting4u65 View Post
    on your pattern I would say it probably doesn't matter if you 8 or 9 as long as you are consistent then each round is increased by the same # of st so if you do 8 each time you go around you would increase by 8 evenly sounds like they would be very pretty. Sorry for your loss. I know when my oldest sister passed away she had started and afghan and I was elected to finish it it was an honor to finish something that my sister had started and gave it back to her oldest daughter. I was also elected to finish a tatting piece that my husbands aunt had started. I finished it and had it framed with her picture and the year she started it and then I put my picture with the year I finished it. I think one of my girls has it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing. Memories are what life is all about.
    Blessings Donna