Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hello! from Southwest Missouri :)

I'm Carole and I've been crocheting for about 35 yrs. I watched my grandmother while I was young, but didn't take up the craft until I was in my 20's and raising my two kids. I'm a self-taught "lefty", crocheting right-handed . . . go figure ~ I enjoy making doilies, afghans, dolls, bookmarks, and I'll try just about anything at least once. (making clothes is a real challenge for me . . . I gave up making my grandson a cute bomber jacket ~ just can't seem to get it to come out right, but will get back on it sooner or later.) I'm on Ravelry, too, if you'd like to see more of what I've made ~ MyLove4crochet

Another newbie posted about having arthritis in her wrists? I've had RA (rheumatoid arth.), mostly in my hands, for the past 2-3 yrs. You might talk to your dr about a stronger med or have him/her check to see how far along the damage is, okay? I know mine is much better since my meds were changed ~ I'm on Celebrex now, and still take methyltextrate once a week to slow it down. Wrist supports really help, too, and I don't get a lot of hindrance using them while crocheting either. They don't have to be expensive ones either. But I definitely would talk to your dr about other pain relief. Hope this helps ~

I'm glad to have found this great crochet place!

Carole / Lovin2crochet

2. Likes justplainjudy, rosieh20, Colesmom, NinaDay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the crochet community here! We are glad you are with us and look forward to learning more about you!

Love you user name - glad to see you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome hope you enjoy this group
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both ~ I'm excited to find out what all goes on here. I found ya'll quite by accident ~ LoL

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the group, did your Grandma teach you or did you just learn by watching her. My Granddaughter wants to learn how to crochet, but I can't teach anything, just don't know how to explain things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeerKat View Post
    Welcome to the group, did your Grandma teach you or did you just learn by watching her. My Granddaughter wants to learn how to crochet, but I can't teach anything, just don't know how to explain things.
    Hi! Meerkat ~ My Grandma would give me a ball of thread and let me make a chain, but I never was taught by her how to crochet. I picked up a "Teach Yourself to Crochet" booklet (and one for knitting, too) and got started that way. I sewed a lot of my dght's clothes when she was little, and then did a few things when my son was born. I've always taken an interest in many of the handmade crafts (not too keen on the hot glue kinda stuff, tho). Mostly sewing, cross-stitch/embroidery, and working with thread and yarn crocheting. Still haven't gotten the hang of knitting, tho, and RA just doesn't let the fingers work like they should, trying to hold onto 2 long needles ~ LoL ~ I'm a "knife-holder" crocheter ~

You might try letting your gr-dght watch some of the wonderful crochet videos on YouTube. I've got a couple of knitting videos saved, to try learning easier ways to knit . . . so far, the Russian technique seems to work best for these hands of mine. I just know she will love learning to crochet ~ especially after she makes her first item. I wish her all the luck!

Life without JESUS is like an unsharpened pencil . . . it has no point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, Lovin2Crochet! I didn't learn from anyone either. I am self-taught by reading a book. They didn't have the symbols then. They get me confused. I know I have to learn them, but I guess I just feel that at my age, why do I have to learn something that is extra. I have no trouble reading a pattern; although I imagine the symbols do help the newer crocheter.I just think they are confusing to me because I learned without them. Good idea on the YouTube video for the teaching the granddaughter. I think that is easier. Anyhow, welcome to Crochet Talk. We do have fun here. The ladies are funny, warm and very smart.

Judy

Post Thanks / Like
    Lovin2crochet: I just might get her some yarn and hooks an have her go to Utube.. I taught myself to crochet also, just bought a book, but I had to have a friend help me learn to knit. I knitted as few items for my daughter when she was young.. Then I neve knitted again for a lot of years, My daughter wanted to make this Noahs Ark Baby afghan when she sent it to me it was crochet, So I went and got a book to teach myself.. That was an awful pattern to crochet, I finally got it done a Month after she had her baby.

10. Likes justplainjudy, Lovin2crochet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Carole! Welcome here. I am Larisa. Do I know you? Your doily is so nice... good work
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

12. Likes justplainjudy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kl1000 View Post
    Hello Carole! Welcome here. I am Larisa. Do I know you? Your doily is so nice... good work
    Hi! Larisa ~ Yep, you do know me, from the Yahoo group. How are you doing? I'm finally back online and am making my way around to everyone again. I sure have missed everyone!

I've always loved your doilies, Larisa . . . you do such beautiful work! So glad to see you here.

Carole / Lovin2crochet