Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

8 herbs from arthritis

Looking for a safe and effective way to treat arthritic pain? These eight herbs can help reduce joint pain and inflammation. Although natural arthritis remedies act slower than nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, they have fewer side effects.

While injuries and overuse can contribute to osteoarthritis (the most common type of arthritis), physical activity maintains overall health and joint health and forms an essential part of arthritis treatment. Obesity poses a greater threat of joint degeneration than exercise. If activity produces pain, it’s a good idea to consult the family physician.

Secondly, herbs can reduce joint pain and inflammation. Natural arthritis remedies act more slowly than nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, but have fewer side effects. Three—turmeric, ginger and boswellia—come from the Ayurvedic (traditional Indian) tradition and work well in combination.

Turmeric (Curcuma longa), the spice that makes curry yellow, contains the potent anti-inflammatory chemical curcumin. Because of poor stability and intestinal absorption, curcumin is usually combined with bromelain (a pineapple enzyme that alone improves osteoarthritis), piperine (an ingredient in pepper) or phosphatidylcholine. Two long-term studies show that a particular curcumin-phosphatidylcholine complex (Meriva) improves arthritis symptoms and reduces blood levels of inflammatory chemicals.

Another curry spice, ginger (Zingiber officinale), decreases pain and inflammation. In one study, 250 mg of a ginger extract, taken four times a day, diminished pain from knee osteoarthritis, but only after three months of continuous use. A few studies also suggest that boswellia (Boswellia serrata), also called Indian frankincense, improves knee arthritis. Side effects may include gastrointestinal upset.

Herbs from other continents have also been studied. South African native devil’s claw (Harpagophytum procumbens) has the support of tradition and several studies for decreasing arthritis symptoms. Two species of cat’s claw, a spiky vine from South America, also shows arthritic healing promise. Uncaria guianensis has been shown to relieve knee pain during activity (but not at rest) in people with osteoarthritis; U. tomentosa reduces rheumatoid arthritis symptoms, particularly when used as a complement to conventional medical treatment.

Closer to home, willow (Salix spp.) has long been used to reduce pain and inflammation. The bark contains salicin, which our bodies can turn into salicylic acid, which laboratories can turn into acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin). Preliminary research shows that concentrated extracts (providing 240 mg of salicin a day) offer moderate relief in osteoarthritis. Interestingly, a single aspirin tablet contains 325 mg, suggesting a combination of willow’s constituents provide relief.
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

2. Likes Trenarah, kayemory liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Are these metabolized in the liver, does anyone know? I would love relief from my arthritis pain, especially for my hands. They hurt all the time and are hurting more lately. I usually use ice on my hands and that helps reduce the swelling and some of the pain. I can't take anything that is metabolized in the liver.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was good information. Since I have degenerative osteoarthritis in my back I have to do steroid shots in order to keep moving (every 4 months). But I take aspirin along with my arthritis medication to help relieve the pain in my knees and hips. I also drink Vernors Gingerale because of the true Ginger. I knew ginger could help. Thanks, K1000, and Landon's questions are truly valid!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got information from one friend... As for me. I used celery root ground and honey... It helped from pain in knees.
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

6. Likes Anaisa, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the information Larisa

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear! I only wish you to stop pain
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some foods that boost up the acidic stuff in your stomach. And after that the other thing I discover helpful about that, it's really nice to lay off sugar and junk foods, as these create food reactions in the gut which affects soreness in the joints and eat non-sweetened yogurt.

Fairways Supported Living
    182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
    Phone : +61 1300 765 051
    http://www.fairwayssupportedliving.com.au/
    Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.
    Last edited by crook; 03-12-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is curcumin? where does it come from? Has any one ever tried rub ons.. To help while the herbs takes effect. I found anything with capsaicin in it helps arthritis, I have arthritis in my knees and i rub it on and short time the pain is gone are relieved some.. One thing you have to take a hot cloth and put on it to open the pores and then rub the capsaicin in I always use the roll on so I don't forget and rub my eyes..Ouch!!I use Zero Pain, but I have to send off for it, I started in 1994 buying it from Home shopping club.. But I am sure they have some brand of it that they sell in stores know.. It has no spell and won't stain your clothes.. In case you don't know what Capsaicin is, it is some type of pepper.. I am sure most of you have heard of it..