Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

HELP! with gauge on baby sweater

Help!!!! I am stuck on a project in crocheting. I am making a sweater for my granddaughter. I got it off of Lion Brand website. I am having a problem with the gauge. it calls for 16sc+12 1/2 rows= 4". Also it said use a K hook. Well it doesn't work for me. I have tried a few times with a I and J hook, still to big. It works with a G hook, but if I use that, I am afraid the garment will be to big or to small. Here is the gage for the G hook I came up with for a 4" square. 16 stitches and 19 rows. It gives me the gauge alright but I'm afraid the garment won't fit for the 6 month old outfit .Also, the pattern advertised lion brand yarn. I am using bernat yarn. They're both #3 light,100% acrylic. I thought it would be okay to use Bernat. It's that softee baby yarn.

Can someone out there give me some input on this, pleaseeeeee. PS. Also it seems a little stiff using this G gauge. Thanks a bunch!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I could help, but I get boofooed by math and I'm still not 100% myself...so I am bumping up this post so someone out there can help....hugs

Post Thanks / Like
    the size of the hook is not as important as the gauge I have found a lot of patterns that I have to go down in hook size. It just means that you don't crochet as tightly as the author of the pattern
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully someone will be able to come up with an answer for you. My experience is very limitied. But I have found that a lot of Lion Brands yarns are more "lofty" or fluffier than Bernat is, and perhaps some of that is where you are running into problems. And would account for the much much smaller size hook that you are needed. It really is amazing how something that is labeled the same weight and content can be so different!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

You also have responses in the other thread you posted on this subject...just wanted to let you know....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello
    thanks for your prompt reply. I found the answer. I downloaded a free pattern and the gauge was off because the pattern had a mistake in it. It called for k hook. It should have been a G hook. Lionbrand said they were going to investigate. They said a K hook seemed much to big for a baby sweater. Thanks for responding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for responding. I found out that when I used a G hook I got perfect gauge. Pattern called for K hook. It was a free pattern from lionbrand. I called them and they said it was probably a mistake in the pattern. It was a baby sweater and they said a K Hook Seemed to big for a baby sweater. Now; I'm making my granddaughter and every thing is igoing smooth until the next bump in the road ha ha. Have you ever had to come down 4sizes with your hook? Thanks again!

9. Likes rosieh20 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops I didn't mean I'm making my granddaughter ha ha ha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you found out what you needed to - that is quite a difference in hook size!