Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

HELP! with gauge on baby sweater

Help!!!! I am stuck on a project in crocheting. I am making a sweater for my granddaughter. I got it off of Lion Brand website. I am having a problem with the gauge. it calls for 16sc+12 1/2 rows= 4". Also it said use a K hook. Well it doesn't work for me. I have tried a few times with a I and J hook, still to big. It works with a G hook, but if I use that, I am afraid the garment will be to big or to small. Here is the gage for the G hook I came up with for a 4" square. 16 stitches and 19 rows. It gives me the gauge alright but I'm afraid the garment won't fit for the 6 month old outfit .Also, the pattern advertised lion brand yarn. I am using bernat yarn. They're both #3 light,100% acrylic. I thought it would be okay to use Bernat. It's that softee baby yarn.

Can someone out there give me some input on this, pleaseeeeee. PS. Also it seems a little stiff using this G gauge. Thanks a bunch!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mitzi, I am not the person to help you, but I am hoping someone who knows will be by soon and will be able to give you your answers. -janine

Post Thanks / Like
    I have that problem too and I use what ever hook gives me the gauge I want if it is coming out to gauge I would go ahead and make it with that size. there are a lot of crocheters that are very tight and it is ok to use a different thread if it comes out to the measurements you are after
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

Post Thanks / Like
    Your guage will also change if you crochet more loosely or more tightly. Here is some help with guage that may be helpful for you:

The Essentials of Crocheting a Gauge Swatch - For Dummies

https://www.lionbrand.com/faq/123.html?www=1&language=

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you janine for responding. I found out through Lion yarn there was a mistake in their free pattern. Called for K hook was define itely G hook. I am almost finished with baby sweater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip. This is the first time making a garment. Didn't have to worry about gauges with simple throws and scarves (lol). I called Lion support and they said sounded like the K hook was way to big for a babies garment. Even on the yarn pack it suggested g hook. Making garments kind of intimated me. I am almost finished making my granddaughters sweater. I just have to sew it together. I am proud of myself. My first garment! THANKS A BUNCH!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a bunch!