Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Stretches out of shape

Anyone have any advice on how to stop crochet items from stretching out of shape?

I make pet sweaters, among other things, and it never fails...within a day or two the sweater is stretched and almost too big for the animal. Now this isn't a major catastrophe as dogs don't mind the extra room, but after all the work I put into creating one I'd like it to hold its shape.

Suggestions welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you thought about making them a little more snug in the beginning? Just a thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to say tighter stitches...smaller hooks...putting in the dryer?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is usually a problem with less expensive yarns such as super saver yarns. Every yarn has a bounce back rate. In less expensive yarns the bounce back rate is very poor so they stretch out but do not "bounce back" or hold their shape. Washing will help to bring it back but then they usually stretch again when worn. I felt so bad for my daughter as she used super saver to make a baby blanket. Keep in mind the blanket was never used but it stretched out so bad that she had to give it to the dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're right the problem is with the yarn. Very annoying after going through all that work. Made a dog sweater for a Weinmaraner --- that's a LARGE and it took time and effort. I hope it holds up until she visit again and I'll put the sweater in hot water and try to reshape.

Thanks for the response.

P.S. I'm sure the dog LOVED the blanket!!!