Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I Felt My Crochet Projects?

I want to learn how to felt my projects. I have 100% wool (100% pure new wool on the label) with no other types of fibers mixed in with it. I made a coaster, a small project to see how it felts. I didn't want to run my washing machine for such a small item, so I put it in very hot water that I brought to the boiling point on the stove. I turned off the stove, stirred it around in the pot with a wooden spoon, and let it sit for 20 minutes. Nothing happend, it didn't shrink even a little bit.

What did I do wrong? Maybe I should have added dishwashing liquid, or some kind of laundry detergent to the water?

Does anyone know how to felt?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to know how to do this too. I have passed up several patterns because I don't know how to felt the material. Looking forward to getting a response from all our smarties out there.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean

3. Likes Kathy B. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have only used my washing machine to felt things! I would think that it would work in hot water and hand washed! Anything that you Don't want felted will do it though! Maybe somebody else will know!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I found the trick - baking soda! I have very hard water where I live. I read on line to add baking soda to the hot water in the washing machine. The first time I washed it in hot water with several towels nothing happend. I ran the wash cycle again on hot water, only this time I added 1/2 box of baking soad. Viola! I have 2 felted coasters!

Now I have a better idea of what size hook to use and how big to make the coasters. It's funny, the coaster I made with a larger size N hook came out much better than the one I made with a G hook. Go figure. Whatever. I guess it's all a "chemistry" process with lots of different factors. Great idea for a kid's science project LOL.

The yarn I used is 100% wool "Paton's Classic Wool." There are several web sites that say this is a great yarn to use for felting. I got mine on sale on line from joann.com.

I'm off to make a whole set of colorful felted coasters now...

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    What is " felting" and why is it used?

Post Thanks / Like
    @Dolly:

Felting is a way to take your crocheted (or knitted) project and make it have more substance. Felting will totally change the way your item looks, it gives it a kind of "fuzzy" look, your project comes out much more stiffer and your stitches come out tighter than the way you've crocheted them. You have to use a yarn that will shrink when it gets wet, especially in hot water. If you use a yarn that won't shrink when it gets wet felting will not work. You crochet your project and then put it in your washing machine set on hot water (I also added a big pot of boiling water into my machine when it started the wash cycle set on hot water). It shrinks and gets a kind of "fuzzy" ness to it. You don't put your item item in the dryer, instead you shape it when its wet and let it air dry. You can take it out of the washer and roll it up in a dry towel to absorb the excess water. It's important to shape the item when its wet so it will dry correctly.

Felting isn't something that would be good for afghans and baby blankets or anything you want to be "soft" and snuggly. It makes lots of things look great. I'm working on a small basket with a set of coasters that I'm going to felt in my washing machine, I'm crocheting it out of 100% wool yarn in bright colors. Keep in mind that you have to use a yarn that will "shrink" when it gets wet, so you'll want to make your project a little larger than how you want it to turn out in the end.

I've been experimenting with felting this weekend, I've made up some small items in 100% wool, with different size hooks, just to see how it will turn out after it's been felted (shrunk) in my washing machine. After a lot of running back and forth watching my washer, and making different items, I think I've finally got it figured out for the way I want my projects to turn out.

I want to make a big tote bag with wooden handles. I want to "felt" my crocheted tote bag before I attach the handles to it. Because I have "hard water" where I live, I've added baking soda to the hot water in my washer, along with detergent. For some reason, detergent seems to be important for felting, and I guess the baking soda causes a "chemical" thing. The wool yarn I have doesn't "run" the colors don't fade in hot water which is a good thing. Some wool yarns will fade when they get wet, the colors can run and ruin your project. I've been using Paton's 100% wool yarn that I bought and the colors don't fade when it gets wet, this is a good thing since I'm using bright colors together. So far so good!

You can look at lots of pretty "felted" items on line, there are lots of great ideas out there. It seems that knitting your item, instead of crocheting it, makes felting turn out better. I'm not a knitter, no thank you, i'm just a crocheter.

Hope this helps to answer your question about what felting is.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Boiling water might have been too hot, and you need a bit of detergent also. Usually you put it in the washer with an old pair of pants and a bit of soap with hot water. then the dryer depending on what it is.

QUOTE=Pixieglitter;65282]I want to learn how to felt my projects. I have 100% wool (100% pure new wool on the label) with no other types of fibers mixed in with it. I made a coaster, a small project to see how it felts. I didn't want to run my washing machine for such a small item, so I put it in very hot water that I brought to the boiling point on the stove. I turned off the stove, stirred it around in the pot with a wooden spoon, and let it sit for 20 minutes. Nothing happend, it didn't shrink even a little bit.

What did I do wrong? Maybe I should have added dishwashing liquid, or some kind of laundry detergent to the water?

Does anyone know how to felt?

Shelley[/QUOTE]

10. Likes Trenarah liked this post