Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Baking question...

Long story short, I am making yeast less breads, and I've heard conflicting opinions of baking powder....if I am doubling the recipe do I double the baking powder? Or is there an amount of baking powder to cup of flour? Thanks.....

2. Likes rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are following a receipe, double the receipe in all things. The ratio of baking powder and flour will be taken care of! Have fun. Bread making is great. You must be making a "sweet bread" or bisquits! How wonderful and delicious!! I love baking BREAD, especially if I don't have to knead it! And finally found a receipe that I don't have to knead and it isn't sourdough bread. The best in the world is from Alaska. Never been able to master that "thang" tho
    Need I say that I LOVE bread????? ohhh, supper with a good loaf of bread and cheese with a glass of good wine. Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I LOVE BREAD too! I will pass desert for a good slice of bread! Can you share that recipe? My daughter needs less yeast and I am making pop overs...but it goes so fast in our house...before it reaches the rack from the cup cake pan....half are gone! So, I thought I would double it; then I thought....chocolate pop overs.....yes yes....so thanks for the help....I read that if one is afraid the baking powder will bitter the taste make them twice...but thanks for your help...

5. Likes justplainjudy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    sure will. The receipe that I have does call for a little bit of yeast, but it can be refrigerated for up to 7 days. I just cut a bit off a bit at a time, smooth it out and let it sit and throw in the oven, to keep fresh bread in the oven. I can give you some sites on how to make sourdough bread, without using yeast. Takes time and patience, but well worth the trouble. Especially if you use it a lot. That is my problem, I don't bake it enough to keep it "active" Lots of work, but it grows its own "yeast" and has such a wonderful taste to it. That delicious tang of the olden days. Yes, know what you mean by a good slice of bread! I will take a good hearty slice of bread over a desert myself. Satisfaction to its upmost. Do you know where I learned to love bread? When I visited Germany about 6 years ago. There was no turning back after that! The European's know their breads!! Not air, just wholesome goodness

7. Likes justplainjudy, Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I can still eat yeast breads....I just wanted some options for my daughter; sure I'll check out the sites for sourdough w/o yeast....I bake bread often, when my disability lets me.... We eat the loaf before it hits the shelf, so sure I'll try new recipes;I learned from the Portuguese, a good piece of bread and cheese! YUMMY! Wow, Germany, sounds like a nice trip.

9. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ladies. I was just scanning the blogs and found you. As I was reading you notes, you all made it sound so good! I got hungry, so I went and toasted up one of my whole wheat bisckets. But you are right. They are deffinetely better fresh from the oven, still warm with fresh butter and honey!!! Kitty jean p.s. Thanks

11. Likes justplainjudy, Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Ladies!! Saw your posts about fresh made bread. I have a bread machine that I absolutely love!. But if I want to make a loaf of bread without yeast, I use a recipe that uses flour, sugar and beer. That's it. Delicious!!--Jan

13. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Irishjl, I hope you realize that beer has yeast in it. They use yeast to make the Hops ferment with the sugar this is part of what makes the alcohol. So basically you are still making a yeast bread.

15. Likes justplainjudy, Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made Red Lobster cheddar biscuits. Very yummy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I still remember going to my grandma's and having hot homemade bread and fresh churned butter nothing better than that. I still make bread every now and again usually for the holidays. Trying to stay away from so much of it now that I'm older and it seems to land on my thighs LOL
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity