Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody have a Yarn Ball Winder?

I've been looking on line for a yarn winder and I'm so confused. There are hand-crank winders, some are electric and then there are the vintage/antique winders. How do I know which one is the best??

I buy yarn in traditional skeins or in a ball where you're "supposed" to be able to pull it from the center. Usually, I can't find the end piece in the center so I have to take it from the outside, around and around over and over. It's very frustrating. I try to keep it from rolling all around the room by placing my skein or ball into a basket or bucket next to me.

I found one on ebay, an electric winder. I can't tell if it plugs in or if I'd have to use batteries. It looks like it's the kid you would clamp to the end of a table.

Has anyone ever used a yarn winder?? Did you like it??

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have one; but I know someone here who's husband makes them...I've heard both good and not so good about them.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I had one years ago. You had to turn the handle to wind it. I got rid of it. If you hold your yarn with the label facing you so you can read it, pull the end of yarn on your right side out just enough for the end of yarn to be free, then stick your left hand into the left side of yarn and pull..................your yarn should be ready to use from the center. You may have to pull out a 'hunk' to make it work. If you get a yarn winder you still have the problem of the ball rolling all around the room.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have yarn winder since 1990 and use it all the time ,I get about 4 balls from RH
    super savers, it is a hand crank type, from Knitking, called a Home Twister. I do like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been looking at the hand crank type on line, the prices range all over the place. I ran across another idea. It's a small metal stand with 2 rods/dowells across it. It reminds me f a smaller version of my boys' weight bench they used for lifting weights.

Yarn Winder Unwinder ®

It's call a "Yarn Unwinder" and is only $17.99. I might order one of these. There's no ball winding, you just put your yarn skein onto the rod and it turns as you do your work. It keeps your yarn off the floor and it also keeps it from rolling all over the room. I especially hate it when my yarn skein or ball is rolling all over the floor, picking up dog hair that can get into my work. I have 3 house doggies and even though I vacuum all the time, there is still dog hair. Ugh.

Thanks y'all for your input. I really appreciate it!

Shelley

6. Likes N/A, MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to keep posting and bogging everyone down, but I also ran across another similar item on line that is cheaper with free shipping. The listing includes a short video.

Hard Maple "Yarn Caddy" Skein Unwinder for Knitting and Crocheting Yarn or Wool | eBay

Maybe this one would be too light-weight? I don't have any socket wrenches so I'll probably get the other one that's metal with more of a stable base.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a U nitt TH 7065 absolutely LOVE it its a manual and clamps on to a table here is a trick to. let the kids and grand kids make the balls
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

9. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Boye electric winder. It came out last year, I think. When I tried to wind up a spool of Peaches & Creme, I had to do it in 3 segments, so I wouldn't think it's so great for yarn. I guess it would be possible to wind up one part, take it off the winder, and start another pieces, etc. I wasn't as thrilled as I thought I would be.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both an electric and a hand winder and I use both of them at times. I also have a swift that holds the hanks of yarn and it goes from the swift to the winder. I like the elecrtic the best but if you have tangles you do better with the hand winder. The winders do not make a real ball it is flat on the bottom and it doesn't roll away. I got mine on Ebay and they were a lot cheaper on there. I ordered them from a catalogue and they were twice what I paid on Ebay so I returned them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have one but have'nt used yet! Michaels had one a winder with 40% off. After reading your comments maybe I wont like it, I can donate it if I dont want it. I'll put that notice on a form to sell for shipping only?? Good deal IF I DO IT?? LUV YA Susan MJ