Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Old! Very old!

Post Thanks / Like

Old! Very old!

I was messing with a leak from my dishwasher in the pipes under my sink a little while ago and Mark (my son) will come Sunday and do some work for me. In the meantime after the water stopped gushing all over everywhere I cleaned out under the sink and then looked in my dishtowel drawer for something to mop up the water and wash the floor of the sink cabinet and there were 2 "things" that I think were dish-washing rags. I think my mom's mom (my grandmother) had crocheted them long, long ago. She lived to be just over 100 years old and now when I think about how old I am they must be at least 150 years old...maybe. At least I thought they were worth posting on here since some of you like old patterns. You could probably figure out how to crochet them. They have a little crocheted hole in the corner to hang them up with. They look to be made with string. Here they are. Attachment 3327Attachment 3328

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow how special! You certainly don't need to be cleaning up dishwasher water with them LOL. They're keepsakes girl! Hold them close to your heart... I've been finding the most wonderful (very old) "vintage" patterns on line. Thank you so much for sharing!

Shelley

3. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is so neat that you have those. they have held up the colors beautifuly. Thanks for the share! -janine

5. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    you found them in time for st. patty's day, lol patty's day came to Patty early.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very pretty. You should frame them for a keepsake with a picture of her crocheting. To bad you don't know the date your Grandmother made them to add the date to the frame.
    Have a Great Day !!! Kathy

8. Likes Landon, Colesmom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They look brand new! WOW! You come from a solid like of talented women, that is fabulous!

10. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    cute cute thanks for sharing your story......

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't imagine using my crochet time to do dishcloths but others on here love them so live and let live. However; those are pretty and the pattern looks different. I treasure pieces my grandmother made I wish I had something from an ancestor that was that old in yarn but I do have a couple of jugs and an oil lamp that used meat grease. Can you imagine the smell and the smoke??

13. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How wonderful is that?!! I would love to have had some of the things my grandmother made. I know I don't have to say it but I'm sure you will treasure them. How wonderful you ran across them. I would frame them and keep them safe. What a treasure you found. I'm so happy for you!!
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean

Post Thanks / Like
    I love making dishcloths, they work up fast and are so much prettier than what you can buy in the stores. If we're gonna do dishes why not use something CUTE? LOL My sweet granny used to tat, how I wish I had something she tatted herself. Cherish those old dishcloths you ran across, maybe you could use them in a bread basket with rolls or something like that? Some way you can use them, enjoy them, without ruining them cleaning up water ha.