Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: thanks

Post Thanks / Like

thanks

first, I want to say thanks, Im a stay at home mom. Its nice to go to a forum where the ladies are nice! I dont have a bunch of time to spare, but I have thoughts and love to get feedback from others. Anyways, I might get in trouble for saying this, but growing up i dont remember my parents playing with me. But yes my 5 year old, doesnt have any neighbor friends to play with and just has friends at full time kindergarten. So I hear all day long when she is home, sick or no school or after school. Mommy, play with me! of course I do some, but I have other things to do, like clean, cook, take care of a 6 month old baby. But geez do you guys with kids have this, that your kid wants to play with you all the time, and do you remember your parents playing with you?? Just can be a little much, do I really want to play the wii games, or stuff animals, no not really, lol. yes i know its quality time, please dont kill me for saying this. i went to another knit forum and asked a few questions about parenting, and they gave me such a hard time, like I was a bad parent, so I just ignore the responses and havent went there since.
    Amy's DIY Frugal Life Blog
    https://amysdiyfrugallife.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    My kids were reared in a different era than yours, but no I didn't 'play' with them. They learned to entertain themselves. They had puzzles, books and little crafts to do. I read to them at night and we had quality time and I always tried to be there for them. Get her some things she will enjoy by herself and see if this will help. You are not a 'bad' mother for asking this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Please, you are NOT a bad parent because you don't like KID games and thus don't spend HOURS with your 5 year old. My mom never really spend time w/ me; Not even to teach things like cooking and cleaning....she showed it once and said, now do it like I do it...and when it wasn't done that way she got mad and did it herself....she wouldn't even take the time to teach me to braid. So, you spend some time w/ your child and show her that you have a lot of things to do; maybe you can have her sit through some adult stuff...I dunno, ironing...do we still iron, not much eh? lol, but show your five year old that she doesn't like adult thingys all the time just like you don't care for kid games but you still love her by what you do accomplish...no one has the right to judge you because you don't care for kid games.....and you have kids....
    Last edited by Anaisa; 02-12-2013 at 04:44 PM.

4. Likes justplainjudy, Landon, Kathy B., rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was a single parent for a long time, so I use to play with my daughter all the time, but as a single parent I had plenty of time.. And it doesn't make you a bad parent if you don't have time..

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Amray!!

I am so glad that you opened up about those issues, I am guessing that they were really bothering you! It is all ok, we won't make you feel like a bad parent, you are being honest and doing your best! I believe that that is what counts! Girl, I have been part of other groups and more often than not, some of the women were very catty and that just flat out rubs me the WRONG way! I have yet to meet any catty women here, they are all loving and encouraging! I believe that you are safe here. We talk about everything, pretty much. No judgement, no bad feelings. We do get crazy at times, the fun crazy kind, LOL We have a LOT of fun and get a LOT done!! If you can get the chance, browse back through some older threads, you'll get an idea about how we are here.

Check out our groups, go here:

[URL]http://crochettalk.com/groups/[/URL]

There just might be one there you'd like to join!:D:D:D:D

Happy Crafting,
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Kids need us sometimes, and other times they have a time they need to become more mature in learning to play without mama's attention all the time. I hope it does not sound bad in the way I am saying it - but balance is the key. Your child needs you to take some time with him/her one on one. And, your child also needs to learn that there are times that mom is busy and they grow from learning to play by themselves.

I was an only child growing up and I had to learn to play by myself alot of the time. I grew up in a family that was fairly strict so I did not have kids coming in to play with me, and occasionally I was allowed to play with the neighborhood kids.

Hang in there - it should get easier. Just remember sometimes as a mom, you need to take a break and spend some quality time with your child; and other times you help your child to grow by allowing him to figure out that he can play by himself.

Post Thanks / Like
    My children are all grown and I don't remember playing with them a whole lot. I worked full time in a factory and when I got home there was a house to clean, supper to get , just like you. At 5 yrs old, you can do what I did and teach her at the same time. Make a game with the housework (nothing big) when you do dishes, set aside the spoons and forks and show her how to dry them. I spent quality time whith my girls this way, as they got older they dried more dishes and more cleaning together. That is the time we really talked about their day. what did they do. was the babysitter nice, what do you want to do next weekend, would they like to have a tea party with me on ? day. You pick up you toys while I dust, lets see who gets done first. as they got older, they sat at the kitchen table and did homwork while I fixed supper and we talked and laughed. We road bikes now and then together on weekends. went camping now and then. played candyland sometimes. just because you don't play all the time with her does not make you a bad parent. Just let her know how important she is all the time, and play now and then, it will be good for you too. Hugs Kathy
    Last edited by Kathy B.; 02-13-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    Have a Great Day !!! Kathy

Post Thanks / Like
    I am now a grandmother. I spent time hugging my kids and telling them I love them. I remember playing with my kids, but I remember teaching them that Mommy had to do "Mommy" things too, and if they wanted Mommy to do things with them, they could help mommy. They never thought of it as work. They thought it was a game. By the time they were 10, all 3 of my kids could cook simple things, run a vacuum, dust, and wash and dry dishes, and do the laundry. My mother never taught me anything. Didn't have the time. Don't feel guilty. You are NOT a bad mom. Just let her know you love her and always hug her. Never let a day go by without giving her a hug. My husband and I grew up in homes that did NOT show love. What we wouldn't have given to have that. You can vent here without being judged. None of us have that right. Hugs, Judy

Post Thanks / Like
    parents are not born parents, we grow into that and learn to be parents. I agree with what all the others have said. Go to the kid park about once a week if the weather permits. Or have popcorn or chips with a movie she or he might like to watch. Or maybe out to get icecream. just because you don't spend every minute playing with the child doesn't mean your a bad parent.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks ladies! I think I do feel guilty at times, maybe because she ask me so often. My husband is better with playing with her then I am. I didnt get the quality time growing up as I wished I did, so I think I lack that desire do so at times. I hug and love on her everyday, when i drop her off at school, hug and I love you and night time too, during the day we are so busy, but I will sneak them in there too. She is so loving, she will say mommy, I say what, she says I love you, pretty often. thanks again!
    Amy's DIY Frugal Life Blog
    https://amysdiyfrugallife.com/