Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Counting Stitches

Hello, Everyone,
    I am new to crochet and have run into something. When I am crocheting a blanket imparticular, and I finish a row. I am finding that I have to count the stitches on that row and every row every time, as if I don't, somehow I get an increase which makes my blanket wide at the bottom and narrow at the top.
    Is that part of completing a crochet row-------------to have to count the stitches every time a row is completed to avoid increase from happening????!!
    Help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I am no expert and practically everyone on here has oodles more experience than I do. That said, what I have found to happen is that when my pieces either fan out or fluctuate in width, I am not being consistent with my tension. Crocheters can usually build their foundation row and go on to crochet in varying tension. So, if your tension isn't consistent, your piece will fan.

I hope this helps you!! And Welcome! I don't think we have met? I am Landon, I am glad to see you here! We get a LOT of crocheting done and have a great time along the way!

Happy Crafting,
    Landon

3. Likes angie22, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Floro,
    When making a blanket, I have found you need to find out if the chain one, chain two or chain three are counted as the first stitch, if so I always if you are half double or double crocheting, always do two stitches at the beginning. Hope this helps.

5. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Landon, You are so right about the tension. I sometimes start crocheting when I am stressed and my tension is really tight and then as I keep crocheting, it loosens.

7. Likes Landon, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Rocketlady has brought up an important point. Which crochet stitch are you making? Are your ends even?The ends of your rows, are they even?

Post Thanks / Like
    All three are important, counting rows, tension, and how you end and begin rows. Counting helps you to see if you're actually crocheting the same amount of stitches; tension helps to see if you have loosened or tighten your stitches along the way, and depending on the stitch you use will determine how to end and begin rows. As long as I've been crocheting, I still have to count, check the tension, and make sure how I do the rows is consistent throughout. Hope this helps.

10. Likes Landon, Kathy B., MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Landon, Rockettlady, & Kayemory,
    Thank you all for your response. I'm Flo. I see that you are in MO Landon. I'm in Nashville, TN with hopes to move by the end of June. We will be moving to the Lake of the Ozarks area. Which part of the state is Desloge?
    I don't know if my tension will ever be consistent. I am trying. I think it's better than a few months ago. I'm retired 2 1/2 yrs. now. Crochet has saved my life. I just crochet easy things as crochet directions drive me CRAZY. I just use the stitches I like and make up my own patterns. To me, being intricate with it isn't fun. So, I guess if my tension is going to always fluctuate, then I'm stuck with counting the stitches every time, eh?!! Oh, well, it won't stop me from crocheting as I love it so. I've tried knitting and I found I prefer handling one needle at a time. I think my ends are even. They do line up. I do a lot of double crochet stitches.

Wishing you many happy crochet moments,
    Flo

12. Likes Landon, Colesmom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi floro
    Welcome to the forum.
    I found when my work was wide on the bottom like that. I was adding a stitch somewhere. and when it would narrow on top
    I was dropping a stitch and had a tight tension. and you do need to count your stitches after a row. and a few rows later.
    to keep my ends even I use markers at the beginning and end of a row. the ends are my problem.
    Good Luck with your crocheting.
    Let us hear more from you

14. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Counting stitches

I have crocheted for years. I also am having trouble with counting on a pattern I got from All Free Crochet. It is for a one skein hat and blanket. The picture is shown in a lavender yarn. I have grid it so many times and the repeats come out all off. I count closely but never get it right. When I bring it out to try my husband looks over the top of his glasses and wonders how many timesI will pull it out.

16. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to too, whether it's suppose to be done or not it certainly saves time because I don't have to unravel so many rows.

18. Likes Landon liked this post