Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Concerned with health

Im 36, soon to be 37. Well my total cholesterol is at a normal range of 142, but my lipoprotein a is 144. High, which can put me at risk for heart disease. Anyone know about lipoprotein a. Doctor wants to put me on niaspan, but causes flushing and can affect your liver. So unsure. The rest of blood work was normal.
    Amy's DIY Frugal Life Blog
    https://amysdiyfrugallife.com/

2. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry I don't know anything about this...I hope you find the right ans for you and wish you good health....

Post Thanks / Like
    i don't know any thing about it, but you might want to get a second opinion first.

5. Likes justplainjudy, Mydoxie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the others I would get another opinion, I never heard of lipoprotein, but as young as you are I would definately get a second opinion, since the Med effects your liver..

7. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What about controlling with diet and exercise? Any meds that can affect your liver will need to be monitored with blood workups every few months. Make sure that if you are on any meds that are considered liver toxic that you get blood work ups to monitor your liver enzymes. I ended up in the hospital for a solid week a year ago August because the idiot doctor I was going to didn't run blood work for a solid year and my enzymes were so out of whack that they kept asking me if I had overdosed. My liver is back to normal now but I am off for LIFE any meds that are metabolized in the liver. 99% of meds made are metabolized in the liver, so what I can take is very few meds.

I apologize if I am coming across as bossy and trying to tell you what to do. I am wanting you to be aware of meds that are liver toxics. Some people can use them, they just need careful monitoring to make sure all is ok. The liver is truly a miraculous organ! It can heal itself, but it needs the right environment to do that.

9. Likes justplainjudy, MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It means fat in your blood. Lipo=means fat. What is normal? I used to know but after I retired from nursing I lost most of the knowledge that you really don't have to know since the lab report shows the ranges and what is normal or high or low. Don't panic yet you may find that it is only a few numbers high and a diet change might work.

11. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twinfaye View Post
    It means fat in your blood. Lipo=means fat. What is normal? I used to know but after I retired from nursing I lost most of the knowledge that you really don't have to know since the lab report shows the ranges and what is normal or high or low. Don't panic yet you may find that it is only a few numbers high and a diet change might work.
    anything below 60 is ok, above is high, and its genetic, so its not controlled by diet or anything I did or didn't do the doctor said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link for you to look at:

Lp(a): The Test | Lipoprotein (a)

14. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Barbara, that helped!

Post Thanks / Like
    My cholesterol was supposedly high, I don't know what it was but the doctor put me on Prevastatin. Soon I began to hurt in every joint ..it felt like every joint hurt. My friend said that she thought it was the prevastatin. I kept taking it and soon I could hardly stand up or get out of the chair. I felt like this : When I tried to get up I had to make so many attempts to pull my butt out of the chair and when finally I would get out of the chair..it took so much time to stand up straight. Then I stood there teetering back and forth until gravity took over and I had to take a step to keep from falling on my face!! I asked the doctor if the med was doing that to me and he says "Nooo, it shouldn't" Well, it did! I stopped taking it on my own for a while and the pain went away and I felt good. Then I had bladder surgery and spent 9 days at a nursing home to re-cooperate and found they had put me back on it again! I took it again for a while and almost got into the same predicament...joints hurting like crazy. I quit taking it and everything got better again so I know without a doubt that prevastatin hurts like crazy. No more for me, ever! They did a blood the last time I went in so I don't know how my cholesterol is now . I don't care...no more prevastatin for me!