Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Yarn Equivalents and question about twisting yarn

This all started when I started to crochet a cotton facial cloth. Since I've been using 6 weight (super bulky), I found that 4 weight felt like a piece of string to me. It just didn't look right to me. So I took two strands (different colors) and it worked fantastic.

So, I started searching to see if there was a site that told of using smaller weights to make a larger one. And, here is what I found:
    2 strands fingering weight = 1 strand sport weight
    2 strands sport weight = 1 strand worsted weight (4)
    2 strands worsted weight (4) = 1 strand bulky weight (5)
    3 strands worsted weight (4) = 1 strand super bulky or chunky (6)

So, since there are so many more colors available in worsted weight, I thought I would try two strands to make a lighter blanket than the super bulky I made for Dave.
    I love it!!

My problem, however, is the twisting of the two. For me, the foundation chain is the hardest of a blanket, then the first row. So, about every 5 stitches I was unwinding the yarn. Once I got past the foundation chain and first row, I was unwinding about every 10 stitches. Yes, it takes longer but I really like the outcome, a little thicker than worsted weight but not as thick as super bulky.

I left one of the skeins as it's bought and the other I rolled into a ball, because it seems to be easier to use the ball to unwind (smaller). I thought about putting both strands together and then make into a ball, but I thought it would probably tangle as well and knot somewhere in the middle of the ball. Does anyone know of a solution for this within having to unwind the yarn every 10 stiches or so?
    ~Tammy~

2. Likes crocheting4u65, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    54 views and no comments? I hope y'all can use the yarn equivalent, as for the wind twisting, I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing; it's slow but it's working. My Dad's blanket is looking good, going slow but looking good.

I'll post it when it starts to look like a blanket... right now it's just a long 3-inch nothing, LOL
    ~Tammy~

Post Thanks / Like
    if I use 2 skeins a of thread at a time I try to start them from the center that way I don't have to unwind them and it works great the only time I make a ball is of I am using the same skein to double it
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

Post Thanks / Like
    We like it - thanks for sharing. Some of the views may be coming from guests viewing and not being registered - they cannot leave comments.

I personally have not done any twisting of yarn - and the yarn equivalents will help us out...I am a little behind on reading all the posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem: I apologize if I came across as upset; I wasn't at all... I was wondering if there's an easier way to keep two strands of yarn from twisting. I love to use two 4weight yarns to make a bulky yarn and it looks fantastic. But, maybe that's because I started using super bulky yarn to make a blanket. I am trying to use different weights.
    ~Tammy~

Post Thanks / Like
    How about putting each skein (or whatever) in it's own plastic bag with a twist'em to hold it closed and only the yarn strand coming out? Just a thought. Thanks for the yarn equivalents-I've always wondered about the bulky weight as it is so costly. You have helped me out a lot!

Post Thanks / Like
    that is what i do imalefty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crocheting4u65 View Post
    if I use 2 skeins a of thread at a time I try to start them from the center that way I don't have to unwind them and it works great the only time I make a ball is of I am using the same skein to double it
    Hey crocheting.... what do you mean by 'starting from the center'? I am using the same color, so if I take both and make into a ball it will be okay and not tangle?
    ~Tammy~

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imalefty View Post
    How about putting each skein (or whatever) in it's own plastic bag with a twist'em to hold it closed and only the yarn strand coming out? Just a thought. Thanks for the yarn equivalents-I've always wondered about the bulky weight as it is so costly. You have helped me out a lot!
    So, you use the cheap large baggies with those twist ties (like on bread)? ....and twist it just tight enough so when you pull on the yarn it comes out easily? and will not twist? Oh, damn (sorry for swearing) but that sounds divine! It really works??
    ~Tammy~

Post Thanks / Like
    Boopie- I have had good luck with the bags & ties. And if it does twist it should be much easier to untwist-just grab the whole bag! Let me know how you make out with this. imalefty

12. Likes boopie liked this post