Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  96
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

CT February 2013 Contest Thread - Tell us about your LOVE for Crocheting!!

Post your short story here to enter the Crochet Talk contest for February! This is meant for fun and you will not be judged on how you create your short story, or on how well you can spell. :0)

This is meant to have fun with and someone could be a winner for the month of February!!
    Last edited by Barbara G.; 02-04-2013 at 12:17 PM.

2. Likes Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was a little girl, My little brother and I stayed with my aunt, while mom and dad worked. Oh how I hated to be there with a bunch of little kids and no one my age. ( I was around 8 ). My Grandmother lived down the road, but across a busy street I wasn't allowed to cross. My Grandmothers friend lived down the alley from my aunt, and I ended up spending alot of time with her. She was elderly and in a wheelchair and I did alot of small chores for her and her husband. It was this dear lady that taught me how to crochet. I always was fassinated with the dollies she made. She took the time to teach me her special talent and I spent hours at her house learning how to crochet and loving it all the more. Sadly she passed away when I was in 5th grade, but I never forgot, although it went on the back burner for years. When my first child was born, in 1973, was when I picked up the love of crocheting again. Since then I have taught myself how to read patterns and have even made up a few patterns of my own. I still think of this beautiful, caring lady when I pick up my hook or see one of the beautiful doillys one of you have made. I never could master crocheting a doilly, maybe one day I will, just for her <3
    Have a Great Day !!! Kathy

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool How Crocheting has pulled me thru Goog & Bad Times

We moved to Florida when I was 13 & I hated it then as I do now. My mom was looking for anything to try to perk me up. The Community Schools offered a class for little money & you bought pattern book, yarn, & hook. After 6 weeks I had made a tacky, hooded scarf but I thought it was great! By the time I was 16, some of my health problems started to surface. Some small crochet projects often went to the hospital with me then, as I was in & out a week to 10 days at a time for over a year. It depended on what they were doing to me. Then, I got married young, I mean young & had my 1st baby at 19. We were broke, but I could take a little yarn & a hook & make a blanket for my baby. Things got a little better. I started making almost all our Christmas Gifts for family. Dish towels, some afghans, rag rugs, teaching myself a little more all along. No YouTube, other crocheters & what I could read. Crocheting has always been like a tranquilizer,soothing me. My 1st husband hated it, hid hooks, threw patterns in the trash, anything, because it took my time from him. Truth is, I'd have left him lots sooner without it. Crocheting taught me patience from the time I was young. I need it in my life. Hugs, Jane
    Last edited by janie mae; 02-05-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like

How Crocheting has pulled me thru Good & Bad Times

We moved to Florida when I was 13 & I hated it then as I do now. My mom was looking for anything to try to perk me up. The Community Schools offered a class for little money & you bought pattern book, yarn, & hook. After 6 weeks I had made a tacky, hooded scarf but I thought it was great! By the time I was 16, some of my health problems started to surface. Some small crochet projects often went to the hospital with me then, as I was in & out a week to 10 days at a time for over a year. It depended on what they were doing to me. Then, I got married young, I mean young & had my 1st baby at 19. We were broke, but I could take a little yarn & a hook & make a blanket for my baby. Baby #2 came 13 mths later. Things got a little better. I started making almost all our Christmas Gifts for family. Dish towels, some afghans, rag rugs, teaching myself a little more all along. No YouTube, other crocheters & what I could read. Crocheting has always been like a tranquilizer,soothing me. My 1st husband hated it, hid hooks, threw patterns in the trash, anything, because it took my time from him. Truth is, I'd have left him lots sooner without it. Crocheting taught me patience from the time I was young. I need it in my life. Hugs, Jane
    Last edited by janie mae; 02-05-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

this is my story

CT February 2013 Contest Thread - Tell us about your LOVE for Crocheting!!-580557_2837306067360_1455304473_n-1-jpgdo you see these cute little faces? the first picture is morgan, she is holding a doll i made her. oh and the head band too. the second picture is of my newest grand daughter sage wearing the layette i crocheted.CT February 2013 Contest Thread - Tell us about your LOVE for Crocheting!!-563169_2839629245438_1104396920_n-1-jpg they are sisters. bumping this. for more stories.
    Last edited by Trenarah; 02-08-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    WHAT MADE ME LOVE CROCHET! My grandmother when I was 7 or 8, I stayed with my grandparents a lot after I woke up from a 28 day coma from a train accident. My grandmother said it always calmed and relaxed her. She taught me the basics before she fell and broke her hip. Then later taught me more. I agreed with her it was calming and relaxing. I LOVE crochet because of her, who I miss very much! I would love to teach the art of crochet to younger kids or people, it would be a relaxing outcome for them and me for showing someone the art of crochet and the smiles it can bring.

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned to crochet when I was 8 from my grandmother (Meme) and her sister (Aunt Des). She taught my sister (Amy) and I. Amy always did the caps, scarves, and golf club covers. I was too busy chasing boys and playing basketball and didn't do much. Five years ago I retired and while waiting for my car to get fixed, I started an afghan. It awakened in me an intense love. I make things for other people and the joy I see in them is so worth it. I love the challenge of crochet. I love figuring out new patterns. I love shopping for yarn and when I buy it I can't wait to get started on the next project. I love crochet books, magazines, calendars, and even the patterns on the labels. Sometimes I tackle something really hard and it frustrates me because I have to rip it out when I get it wrong. But the satisfaction of conquering that challenge overwhelms the frustration. Crochet has been my life teacher. I have learned that no one is perfect, but to keep trying. I am far from perfect. I have learned that there are more things to create than I will ever have time for, but I'm giving it my best shot. I have learned to do the foundation stitch and the invisible knot. I guess that what I LOVE most about crochet is that there is always something new and different out there to try. I have learned that no matter how much I've practiced a pattern and done it, that when I'm tired I better put it down because that is when the most mistakes happen. I hope to teach my granddaughter someday, but she's only 2 so it will be a while before I can do that. I use crochet metaphors all the time to teach my grandchildren life's lessons. Annette

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot just sit and do nothing. Even in the car I am crocheting while I am a passenger. I make wedding afghans and baby afghans for mostly family. I made wedding afghans for our 6 kids when they got married and baby afghans for all of my grandchildren. We have 22 grands between us. I make afghans for those I see during the year. We are now working on great grands. My fifth is due in May. I can't keep up with my husbands greats. My crocheting gave me trigger fingers and thumbs. My surgeon said to keep crocheting or your hands will be in worse shape. When I finish an afghan I am proud that I finished it and how pretty it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    O Lord, for the times I have ripped out my crocheting and started over!!!!!But hey, we can! With sewing its very different if you make a mistake while cutting the garment out or trimming seams, etc. Love the portability of crocheting; and yes, it is indeed soothing to stretched nerves and over busy minds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh gosh they're beautiful....beconning to be hugged and loved. Congratulations! and thanks for sharing.