Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question how to teach a stroke victim to crocet

My mother had a stroke several years ago and unfortunately her right side is paralized Before the stroke she loved to crochet but she is rt handed....does anyone have any idea how to teach her to crochet again thanks so much for your help it will not only help my mom but other ladies in the nursing home who liked to crochet before their strokes

Post Thanks / Like
    One step at a time...allow her time and be patient. I would see how she does with the very basics and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried finger crocheting? You don't use a hook and maybe that's a start....dunno but worth looking into; hugs and good wishes to your mom.

Post Thanks / Like

question

what is finger crocheting

Post Thanks / Like
    luckily my stroke was on my left side, I used to be almost ambidextrous. Also I was blessed that it happened when I was 20 so I healed quite well. Still crocheting is tough with the tension being controlled by the off hand. can you try knitting. The needles are longer and she can tuck the right one under her arm for stability.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

Post Thanks / Like

thank you

i will try that

Post Thanks / Like
    finger crochet is just making the chain using fingers.....hope the knitting needles helps.....hugs and happy recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have her use a big hook like a Q hook and big chunky/bulky weight yarn. This is much easier to hold onto than thin yarn and small needles. I know a lot of people with arthritis that using these big hooks and yarn has helped a lot.

Kay

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kayscrochetpatterns View Post
    I would have her use a big hook like a Q hook and big chunky/bulky weight yarn. This is much easier to hold onto than thin yarn and small needles. I know a lot of people with arthritis that using these big hooks and yarn has helped a lot.

Kay
    yes, I do that also.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

Post Thanks / Like
    check out the following site 2nd post from the bottom there is a video of a lady you should watch
    crocheting for a stroke victim - KnittingHelp.com Forum
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

11. Likes Anaisa liked this post