Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

I was born in the state of confusion and have never left!
    Post Thanks / Like

I Need Some Advice

I made an offer to teach a Girl Scout Troop ho to crochet. I was thinking maybe teaching them a basic granny square, and then when finished they could be joined and donated for charity. What do you think? Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. I know granny squares were the first thing I learned.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that is a great idea... Just be sure they all are using the same size hooks and that they understand why. Once they are on their own making several squares, they may think about changing hook sizes and that could off balance things. And what a wonderful way to use up lots of scraps quickly!! LOL

3. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great experience for you and for them! There is no telling how far they will take that skill you are teaching them! I am very excited for you! You know we'll want to see pictures! It sounds like a LOT of fun!!

5. Likes Anaisa liked this post

I was born in the state of confusion and have never left!
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was kind of a spontaneous offer. The girls were selling cookies at the last craft show I went to. Acouple of them stopped at my booth and mentioned they woanted to learn how to crochet. I handed them my card and told them to have their troop leader call me and I would be glad to come and teach them. I am so grateful my Grandma took the time and had the patience to teach me. She's been gone many years now, but it gives me a special tie to her, and I feel her presence with me whenever I pick up a hook and some yarn, especially when working on charity projects. She was always big on giving back and paying forward. I try to follow her example.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a beautiful way for you to pay this wonderful craft forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also think that is a wonderful idea! Children are nothing but little sponges for knowledge! Any Grannies would be a great easy project for them to do together! Good idea!

9. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked in a yarn shop years ago and helped the owner of shop conduct begginers classes. After learning to make slip knot and chain, sc and dc stitches, then they were taught granny squares. Can also use cotton yarn, make a large g sq and give to their mothers as a nice gift of a dish cloth. Children seem to love to give their mothers gifts they have made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a nice idea - what level of girl scouts are you working with? the older girls? There may also be other troops that would like to also join some granny squares making it a service project for someone in need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Such a great idea! And think of the new experiences you will have doing a good thing. I hope to teach my granddaughter to crochet someday maybe very soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a great idea....granny squares can make so many things and the donation of it afterwards is neat too...happy crocheting.