Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to learn to chain evenly...ughhh!!!

I spent quite a bit of money on everything I would need to learn to crochet. I signed up for two classes at Crafting Classes, Patterns & Inspiration | Craftsy: Learn It. Make It. and watched the beginner one and I am stuck on trying to make a simple chain that is loose enough to pull my hook through.

Crocheting is hard!!! I really want to learn, but I spent hours practicing the chain and I still don't have it down. I have been quilting since 1992, but wanted to change things up a bit. HELP!! Any tips??? Jeanne from NE Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the forums! At first, it was hard for me but now it is no problem. I just has to learn to hold my hands and hook right to do what I needed. Hang in there - you will do fine - just keep practicing and it will get better and better!

3. Likes GrammaJoe, Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi welcome. trying going up on a bigger size hook or different thicknesses of yarn, but mostly it is practice we all started out slow.

5. Likes Landon, rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always have the same problem. I use a bigger hook which helps a lot. I also learned to do the foundation chain, but I wouldn't even try that yet! Another good alternative is to finger crochet your chain! Or just keep practicing, but I would first go up a hook size like Trenarah suggested

Welcome to the Crochet Talk jccrow54!!
    Last edited by rosieh20; 01-24-2013 at 03:35 AM.

7. Likes Landon, Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, jcrow54 and Welcome!!

I am Landon, a newbie to crocheting myself.
    You are certainly in the right place to learn anything about crocheting.
    We have all ranges of experience here. You've been given some wonderful suggestions and please don't give up!!
    I have a blog for beginning to learn how to crochet but I don't have any videos up yet.
    I hope the suggestions given are helpful to you.
    Let us know if we can help you in any way!

Happy Crafting,
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    Jcrow54, can you skype? Are you a leftie or a rightie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi hon..when I learned how to do a shell stitch..I watch a youtube video on it..it was great..because on my chain for my foundation row..I have always had trouble. Well I learned something I didn't know. USE a size bigger hook for you chain..then when you go back to do you second row..weather it is single
    crochet or double or what ever stitch..use one size smaller..so if you pattern calls for a G hook ..use a H hook to start the chain. The explanation for this was that the chain would not pull and your rows would be straight and not curve..IT has worked for me like a charm! Good luck and don't give up hon..you will find yourself doing it in now time.

11. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome jcrow54, so nice to have you with us. Don't feel alone, many people have trouble with the chain stitch. I normally use one size larger hook then a pattern calls for to make the chain, then switch back to the smaller hook to stitch with.

I also use the shank of the hook, (the straight part of the hook that isn't tapered) to gauge my chain and stitch sizes, but be careful not to pull the yarn tight. I would suggest making small swatches of 10 to 15 chains to practice on. I know it is awkward in the beginning but I hope you will stick with it until you get it down. I also suggest to new crocheters to pick small projects such a pot holders or dish cloths to begin with. Nothing beats the feeling of the first project completed, no matter how it turns out.....lol. ( I speak from experience) hee hee. Hang in there.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow54 View Post
    I spent quite a bit of money on everything I would need to learn to crochet. I signed up for two classes at Crafting Classes, Patterns & Inspiration | Craftsy: Learn It. Make It. and watched the beginner one and I am stuck on trying to make a simple chain that is loose enough to pull my hook through.

Crocheting is hard!!! I really want to learn, but I spent hours practicing the chain and I still don't have it down. I have been quilting since 1992, but wanted to change things up a bit. HELP!! Any tips??? Jeanne from NE Oregon

13. Likes Landon, rosieh20 liked this post

Somonauk,Illinois..a small town about 60 miles southwest of Chicago
    Post Thanks / Like
    practice,practice,practice...dont give up..
    If at first you dont succeed,try,try again...I have been crocheting for many years..I find that I hold my thread differently than anyone I've seen crochet..I dont wrap it around my fingers..I let it slide between my pointer and middle finger..that was how I figured out how to get the right tention and have even chains..DO KEEP TRYING..it is so worth it..good luck to you!!

15. Likes Landon, rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some fond memories Judi?? I know I have to smile when I look and think of some of my first tries (that is if I don't just out right laugh!)

17. Likes Landon liked this post