Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, from another newbie!

Hi everyone. I am happy to have found this forum. I was goofing along on my computer a few days ago and stumbled across this place and was sooo pleased with what I saw. I actually came back the following days and read some more and then watched a video and made a scarf following the directions... very pleased with the outcome. I am sort of new to the forum idea, so it will take me a while to learn my way around.
    A little about me... I, along with my 3 daughters was taught how to crochet by my mother, in a threat... yes you did read that correctly... a threat. It went something like this "you are not leaving this house until I know that you know how to crochet." This was at about one o'clock in the afternoon, and the reason I wanted to leave was because I had an eight hour drive ahead of me back home with 3 children. After glaring at my girls and telling them to learn and learn fast, we had it down in like 30 minutes... mind you my youngest was 10 years old at the time. I have not learned how to put the crochet hook down since then for more than 12 hours at a time. That was back in 1998 I think.
    My kids are nowall grown and out on their own. I am the only one who continued to crochet after leaving my mom's that day. It was the granny square we were all taught how to make. I was afraid to stop and start the second one... Not sure if I remembered how to start a chain of 4 again. I kept going around and around and around that darn granny square until it fit not just the top ofthe King size bed,I was still unsure of restarting, so I made mine so bit it hangs down to about 8 inches off the floor on a king size bed.
    I purchased several crochet books and sat in my livingroom for hours while the girls were in school and finally understood those odd words in the instructions ones, you know the words like sc or ch or dc. it took me even longer to figure out what rs and ws meant.
    Once I got that down, I felt I could do any crochet I wanted to (until my daughter told me she wanted me to make her a scarf with pockets and a beret to match). That was a reality check for me. I must have pulled out rows of stitches at least 200 times until I did get it done. I gave it to her for her birthday and she wore it to school only to have it snatched out of her book bag. Another reality check.... it was good enough for someone else to want. YES!!!! I actually felt kind of good about that thought.
    Years have gone and I have had the grace to be able to make hats for cancer victims, baby hats for hospitals, afghans I have made have gone to victims as far north as New York and as far south as Florida. I was involved in a crochet group for several years and we shipped items to West Virginia, American Veterans, children's homes, women's shelters, churches, homeless, and I know that one afgan and hat set I made was entered into an auction in North Georgia to help a woman suffering from brain cancer. The set went for $500.00. The money went to pay her bills and the angel who won that auction turned around and gave that victim the set to keep her warm during those dreadful medical treatments.
    I am now working filet crochet patterns. I have about a dozen designs made so far... I just need to make them into afghans and see if they are as good as I see them in my mind. I look forward to spending time here learning lots and lots of new stitches and patterns and hoping to meet some new friends as well.

Now that I have bored you all with my introduction... will someone please explain to me what a trackback is as well as a tag and what do you do with icons? ...Did I mention that I am new to the forum idea???? Oh, also, I totally messed up on my name when I was joining... it was supposed to be iamj9... I guess I am stuck with the rest of it. I am Janine. (iamj9)

2. Likes Landon, Trenarah, mb1031 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Janine! It s nice to hear from you! I was glad to read your introduction. I wish I could write stories... I am Larisa. I make doilies. These days I like filet crochet

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Janine, welcome to the forums!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi welcome, nice meeting you, keep moving that hook making smiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Janine and Welcome!!

I am Landon, a newbie to crocheting.
    I am just delighted that you have joined us here!!
    If you scroll up you'll see the Crochet Talk icon and under that, you'll see Need Help?
    If you click on Need Help? you'll go to a page that has several video tutorials showing you have to navigate this site.
    An icon in the computer world is simply an image. Online usually, an icon will be a "link" to another site where you usually find out more about that icon.
    A tag is like a symbol or label of who it represents.
    Trackback is according to Wikipedia: A [I]trackback[/I] is one of three types of linkback methods for website authors to request notification when somebody links to one of their documents.

Happy Crafting,
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning,

Welcome to the forums! We are glad that you are here with us! Please feel free to join in and make yourself right at home! Thanks for joining us!

Trackbacks are mainly for linking back to a resource that is posted in the forums. Don't worry about them.

Also, I can change your user name if you like. When I do, you will need to log in with the new user id. Send me a private message when you are ready and I will make the change for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdie and welcome; Happy crocheting and I bet you got your ans...winks

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the help and the directions. I am a slow learner,(but a willing learner) so it may take me a little time to get up to speed. I do apreciate you all.

11. Likes Anaisa liked this post