Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Sashay yarn scarves quick question.

Hey guys, I know we had a discussion about the sashay yarn last month or so, but I have a friend that just asked about it.

My question is this. She has NEVER crocheted before. Do you think it's a good beginner project for her? If so, I will find the discussion and get those good tips about how to do the pattern for her. But I know some of you said it was hard to work with, or to get used to.

So what do you think. (I've been trying to get her to crochet, as she needs a hobby, but I don't want her to get discouraged).

p.s. I can only email her, as she lives in Canada (I'm in USA). So I can't go over and help her.

Thanks,
    Joy Ann

Post Thanks / Like
    my dd's mother in law knits but had never crocheted. she asked me to show her how to crochet the scarf, and after several questions, mostly over the phone, only seen once in person, she figured it out! she liked doing them by crochet better. there are also lots of videos on u-tube etc, that tell you how. i had only my kindle fire with me at the time and was pretty limited about what i could get on the internet until i came home and used my regular computer.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ruffled scarf is pretty easy but the yarn is a little hard to work with. It is simply a chain stitch into the top loops of the yarn but you have to spread out the yarn to find the holes and it might make it harder than something she should start with. The new way to use the yarn is to finger crochet a chain with it and then wear the really long chain as a scarf. Look at Red Heart Yarn | Yarn, Knitting Patterns, Crochet Patterns under sashay yarn and it will show the pattern and a picture of it. My family loved it and it was one of the first thing chosen from my crochet closet. I wore one and got compliments on it. It is really simple you make a slipknot with your fingers and then chain by putting two fingers through the loop and pulling making a chain with your fingers.

4. Likes dayco463 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds really neat. I'm really trying not to buy more yarn til I use up some of what I've got, but every time we talk about it, I want to try it. Then my friend emails me about it. lol Must be a sign.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I ever have money again I am going to buy several skeins of sashay to make the chained scarf. I want to chain me a couple of the scarfs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a great review of the Sashay yarn, showing the two kinds of scarves you can make with it. Both the Finger Crochet, and also using a crochet hook. You can also knit the scarves if you want.

There are links to tutorials in the article for the different methods of using this yarn.

The gal who posted the review said the ruffled type was a bit too much for her understated style, and she felt like she was wearing a "boa". I feel that way too. The bunches of ruffles are not my style either.

But they are pretty if you like that look.

PlanetJune by June Gilbank » review: ruffle yarn
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say just watch the tutorials first. You'll understand it better. I have crocheted a Sashay scarf and the Starbella flash scarf and I think both are fairly easy to work with. It's just getting use to having to spread the net fabric. I also saw the new video on the finger crochet one and I really want to try that one also. Got to wait until I finish up hats, scarves, and a couple of blankets first that people ordered. One of the scarves I'm working on is a Sashay scarf. Happy crocheting Joyannerose

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't made what you are asking about but I wanted to say that if she wants to learn how to crochet the best way (at least for me, I'm a visual person) is to watch youtube videos. It's so easy because you can look up full projects or specific stitches. I would say if she is the determined type she should start wherever she wants (granted it's not insanely complicated.) I started knitting with a scarf and got so bored and hated it lol. My first crochet project was something I actually wanted and it helped me move forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joyannerose;54563]Hey guys, I know we had a discussion about the sashay yarn last month or so, but I have a friend that just asked about it.

My question is this. She has NEVER crocheted before. Do you think it's a good beginner project for her? If so, I will find the discussion and get those good tips about how to do the pattern for her. But I know some of you said it was hard to work with, or to get used to.

So what do you think. (I've been trying to get her to crochet, as she needs a hobby, but I don't want her to get discouraged).

I was too frustrated trying to crochet the sashay yarn, you have to use stitch markers or you will never see where the next stitch is. I found it easier to knit it. But there are videos on youtube.com showing you how to crochet or knit a sashay scarf.
    You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.- Mark Twain