Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: New stitches??

Post Thanks / Like

Question New stitches??

Just tossing out an idea here. Seems like most everyone here likes to learn a new stitch. Perhaps a group could be formed? Where ummm, I don't know once a month a stitch is focused on that people can learn...Maybe once every month or perhaps every two months would be better because then time would be had to try different usages of that stitch so we can "learn" the stitch and not just have a slight knowledge of it? Practice makes perfect you know! Perhaps make a Cal of a project at the end of the practice time with something awesome! Maybe ideas could be put out and someone with knowledge of that stitch can host that "learnathon", and help guide people in techniques etc.

2. Likes Magnolia Blossom, Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I LOVE this idea. Just posted Jane that I don't have enough time left to learn everything I want to. Maybe we could make swatches of each new stich the same size, and then put them tog in an afghan or lap throw or something. I hope you run with this idea.

4. Likes Anaisa, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do too....sometimes we are so caught up w/ our projects that we don't have a chance to do 'new' stitches....Like someone wanted to learn broomlace...to add to Magnolia Blossom's idea, maybe the end result can be given to a charity.....

6. Likes Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that is a wonderful idea! I like the idea of the swatches made and perhaps putting them together and making a donation somewhere! We will see how many like this and I can start the group, but leading the new stitches is beyond me if they aren't basic stitches! That's why I want to start this. Lots of newbies here like me that are if haven't already gotten the basics down, We just need to build on them now! How fun!!

8. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in. I just got a 101 stitches guide. It has a card for each stitch. Each card has it written out and has a graph or diagram for it. I can't wait to get started. There were only 7 stitches that I knew well enough to do on my own. I'm sure there will be some new stitches that are a combination of the basics stitches, but hey we would still be learning something. I could scan in a card and use it in our group if it is ok with Barbara. I don't know about the copy right laws and such but it would be a great learning tool.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean

10. Likes Anaisa, rosieh20, Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay we will make a go of it, I will start it little later this afternoon -- Birthday party this afternoon. Think of what you stitch guide you guys want to start with. Any thing but what is between foundation chain and Treble Stitch will be great with me!

Oh Yea, help me think of a name for the group!
    Last edited by rosieh20; 01-19-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was a young 'stay at home' mom, I bought a little book and taught myself how to knit. Later when I had a car of my own ane kids were all in school I went to series of classes at Sears. 'learn to knit. In our packet of supplies was a book the teacher would be using, of different knitting stitches.Each week we learned 1 or 2 of them. I bought a 3 ring notebook and some sheet protecters and I put each swatch I made into one of them along with the instuctions. When you learned enough stitches you made squares of them and made an afghan or lapghan.I never did make an afghan, I started knitting sweaters. I made my oldest son one and I thought it was really nice. After he was grown he told me he had to walk with one arm drawn up 'cause 1 sleeve was shorter than the other. Poor kid. I didn't know he had to do that! Then I went on to crochet. I don't make sweaters anymore! LOL I have several books with different crochet stitches in them. Think I am running out of room here. Anyway, that notebook was nice to reference back to
    Last edited by Magnolia Blossom; 01-19-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added more.

13. Likes rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that is a wonderful memory you have shared Magnolia. Thank you, and it is a wonderful idea.

Now BarbySue, I have seen that guide advertised. It contains a card for each stitch. Now that would be worth the investment. If you needed a reminder on how to do a stitch and didn't want to turn on the computer! I remember when I started my first large project that I worked on (well only project then) used a double crochet stitch. Then when I went to do a SC, do you think I could remember how to do it?? I had to turn on the computer to remind me! Well that little card would of done the trick!

15. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Started a new group with the name of "Stitches to Excite!" Come in and start a new lesson if you like!!