Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

portrait afghans

Has anyone here done any portraits? I have done simple cross-stitch to crochet before and have done color blocks a million times, but would really like to do an afghan of my girls. I found a site to convert the photo in to a cross stitch pattern, but am wondering about ALL of the color changes, some are only one stitch and would like to know ... to knot or not. Most of the sites I have researched seem to be using knots, but I would really like to have a nice front and back. I could always add some fabric to the back to cover the knots, I guess. Any experience/suggestions?

2. Likes Anaisa, missro007, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I have not done anything like this. I will also be curious to see what the other members say on this. Sounds like a neat idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    I convert simple cross stitch for filet crocheting....I agree w/ putting something in the back of the pic...I have tried the different colours, but it's A LOT of work... You can't carry your thread/yarn, so you have to cut and put in edges a lot...hope you understand what I am trying to say...happy crocheting.

5. Likes andjen7374 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anaisa, I have been going through my pattern books and found one that you might be interested in, It is almost all lace doilies. I am not interested in it at all I don't use the crochet thread...It's too small for me to work with. I will post the front of the book and if you can let me know if you are interested. It probably is pretty old and the patterns are in it. All except ones on page 13 are there; it stops with page 11.

7. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would love to see it when done

9. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very excited, I just pm redhead....will do my best and post...happy crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a blanket with sailboats. I cross stitched the sailboats and was able to go through the top thread of the crochet stitch so it didn't show on the back. Your idea sounds way more complicated, so I don't know if you could apply this or not. Especially with a lot of colors, too. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. Annette

12. Likes andjen7374 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    andjen, portrait afghans sounds pretty interesting to me. I've never seen one. Do you have any you could post?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    andjen, portrait afghans sounds pretty interesting to me. I've never seen one. Do you have any you could post?
    I have not done one myself, but I figure if you can do cross-stitch in crochet, why not try a picture. I am going to start "small" and use some pictures I found online and try to piece them together for an afghan for my daughter. I found some pictures of things she likes, converted them into 3 color "shadow" type charts, and will see how they turn out. If I like them and they are not to terrible to do, I am going to try a photo of my girls...I have one picked out and converted in to a 6 color chart, but want some more practice first, I think. The only posts I can make would be of other peoples' work...is that OK to do???
    Last edited by andjen7374; 01-15-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: typo

15. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you mean by people's work that it's someone's else's photo, well, usually they say it's OK for personal use...so you need to look into copyright.