Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Tunisian Stitch as February Cal??

I am in the process of learning the Tunisian stitch, also known as an Afghan stitch, and was wondering if anyone else would like to learn with me? I have been doing some playing around with it and found it fun! I like the close “knit” look of the finished project. When I played around with it I did find it was very easy stitch to learn; but if you do just the simple Tunisian stitch that it has a tendency to curl. A lot! So I started with the simple then every other roll I added a different stitch…Play mode  This is what I got and ended up with a cell phone holder!
    Tunisian Stitch as February Cal??-8378217908_e054c55298-jpgTunisian Stitch as February Cal??-8378213838_06002dcba4-jpg

When doing the Tunisian Stitch you are doing a chain of desired length then stitching and leaving the stitches on your needle, then coming back (without flipping anything) and pulling them off with a new row. It is said that you need a special needle (a long needle with a stopper at the end is one of them)for the Tunisian stitch, but not necessary if you are making smaller projects. As you see from the pic above I just used a regular crochet needle and wrapped an old ear bud cover off my headphones at the end (at least it stays there better than it did on my earphones!). This will help keep your stitches from sliding off the end of the needle.
    I found several resources on line and here are some of my favorites:
    Free e-book thru Kindle (downloaded on my PC):
    Tunisian Crochet: The Look of Knitting with the Ease of Crocheting: Sharon Hernes Silverman, David Bienkowski, Alan Wycheck: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
    Tunisian Crochet Stitches -- Free How-To Instructions and Tutorials
    Tunisian Crochet: Tunisian Crochet Stitch Instructions Index
    Welcome to Tunisian Crochet Week!
    And of course there are endless videos out there!!
    As for doing anything crocheting something special with the stitch? I say that we just do what we want. You can make a washcloth, make it a little longer, like I did, and make a case for something, or perhaps some wrist warmers by sewing the sides together and leaving a gap for the thumb holder. That is probably what I will do since I left my wrist warmers up at my moms . Just remember this stitch is a little different than regular crochet and won’t stretch as much! Have fun!

2. Likes StephsMom, Trenarah, dayco463 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is a great idea. Hopefully, we will have some people join you in this. I love this stitch!

4. Likes rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would like to learn along with you. I have been playing with it myself and I found that if you do a row of sc on the ends it wont curl up.

6. Likes rosieh20, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know when It was posted before x-mas there was a few that was interested, so hopefully they will like to try now! And thanks for the tip Penny! All tips will be welcome. Its a easy and wonderful stitch, just has a couple quirks with it that needs to be worked around. I know I am looking forward to doing some more work with it and decide what I want to do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, there are quite a few patterns for Tunisian Crochet. I'm also in a group strictly for Tunisian Crochet. Although I'm still pretty new to it. But the Winter 2012 Magazine of Crochet! has TC stitch info, and a lot of the patterns are Tunisian in this issue. Kim Guzman is a wonderful teacher, and very innovative in the world of Tunisian. She has written several books on it, and has a new dictionary type of Tunisian stitches coming out. She said she hasn't found a knitting stitch yet that she can't duplicate in Tunisian. She's one of the owners of the group I mentioned, and even ono her blog, etc. she'll answer questions about stitches, etc. I've done her Mobius that's worked in the round, which is really easy. And you could use any Tunisian stitch, while learning the technique of working in the round.

Start at her WIPS and CHAINS blog. You'll learn a lot from her. She also has tips on how to combat the curl. That's what has frustrated me. But certain stitches placed at the beginning and end will help tame that.

Linked stitches are pretty much Tunisian. So don't let it scare you. If you've done linked stitches, you're halfway there. Kim has some CALs on her blog/sites where she gave you a free pattern then helped you along. Check her out.

Crochet with Joy

Joys Crochet Boutique

9. Likes Magnolia Blossom, Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Count me in! I just started learning last week from watching YouTube -- eager to learn more! Thanks for the educational info!

11. Likes rosieh20 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been playin with it really love the look, I want to do the broomstick also and another one but can't remember it right now!

13. Likes rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad your enjoy the Tunisian stitch! And the broomstick I would love to learn also! Someone mentioned on learning the entrelac stitch March or so (Entrelac is a form of Tunisian I believe). But perhaps you can do a Cal after that on Broomstick. Know you need different hooks or something. Let us know I would love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have played with the broomstick. I have a baby afghan my Mom made for my daughter with Broomstick. Also I would love to learn Hairpin Lace too. I have the loom and stuff but cant figure it out

16. Likes amanda, rosieh20 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You named it pennyi! I had a brain F... at 2 or 3 am when i texted that! I could not think at all! One of the is actually a huge knitting needle and you use your crochet hook to work the stitches the other is one i can not find it consist of 2 long needles going up and down and 2 vertical needles, I can't find the thing online or in stores! It is now 741am so i'm havin another dream or brain F..T with 4 or 5 hours of sleep. I will be back later hopefully with some pics 1 of my slouchy hats and pics of my grandson my son and his fiance' oh yeah my fat iguana sleepin on the bird cage covered with his towel!