Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Rim on Slouch hat to tight

I am making a Slouch hat, I do fine until the last 3 rounds, the rim calls for 3 rounds of sc, when I do the sc rounds it is so tight it doesn't have any stretch what so ever.. It fit perfect until I added the sc now it is so tight it won't go over my head.. I redid it 4 or 5 times and it always came out to tight.. I did my best to loosen my tension and it didn't make any difference. Can anyone help?????????

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would just add some increases to the rim part. Of course, I don't ever follow a pattern and I haven't been crocheting very long. I would try it and see if it works. Worst case scenario you pull it apart and wait for other peoples advice. Good luck with your hat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you I didn't even think of increasing the stitches, I know I crochet tight and tried to looses my tension.. I think my nerves are shot..

Post Thanks / Like
    Meerkat did you try the increasing as suggested by Ambermuffinz?

5. Likes MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, add some INC to fit your head. I always have to adjust hat patterns, not two heads are the same size. If you have to go back to the last row before the band and make the INC. Hope it works out for you well.
    Judi G

7. Likes MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or just use a bigger hook. I know many times when I do SC ribbing I go up at least one size in the crochet hook and sometimes two.

Kay

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi AmberMuffinz, I was just admiring your picture of the cockatiel. It makes me miss all the birds we once had, we use to breed them, but once I came up with breast cancer it was too much for my husband to take care of by himself, I sure wasn't much good to anyone at that time, just thankful to have it behind me nearly 5 yrs. now.

Happy stitching.
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by AmberMuffinz View Post
    Personally I would just add some increases to the rim part. Of course, I don't ever follow a pattern and I haven't been crocheting very long. I would try it and see if it works. Worst case scenario you pull it apart and wait for other peoples advice. Good luck with your hat!

10. Likes MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi Gums View Post
    . It makes me miss all the birds we once had, we use to breed them, but once I came up with breast cancer it was too much for my husband to take care of by himself, I sure wasn't much good to anyone at that time, just thankful to have it behind me nearly 5 yrs. now.
    Happy stitching.
    Judi G
    Judi, Congradulations on your 5 year remission, I just lost a dear friend to Cancer. So glad you made it this far!!
    Last edited by MeerKat; 01-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi Gums View Post
    Hi AmberMuffinz, I was just admiring your picture of the cockatiel. It makes me miss all the birds we once had, we use to breed them, but once I came up with breast cancer it was too much for my husband to take care of by himself, I sure wasn't much good to anyone at that time, just thankful to have it behind me nearly 5 yrs. now.

Happy stitching.
    Judi G
    Thank you, I always tell him he's the most photogenic of my flock haha. Sad to hear you had to lose yours but at least the cancer is behind you. Maybe you could rescue a bird in need and give them a loving home now that you are feeling more up to it. There are lots of birdies in need of a home!

Post Thanks / Like
    i would use a bigger hook.