Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

What should I look for in Crochet and/on Knitting markers?

Hey, Yawl!!

I want to move into bigger projects and I will be learning how to knit also. I see knitting and crochet stitch markers for sale.

What should I be looking for so I benefit the most from them?

Thanks so much!!

XOXOXOXOX
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy Landon!! I'm not sure what is best for knitting. I personally like to use paperclips for crocheting. If I need more than one on a project, I place a colored bead on the paperclip, then make a note of what color bead means which marked stitch. For me....paperclips are easy to move to the next round. I have heard the plastic paperclip are even better and even come in colors. I just haven't pick any up yet....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Naunnie!!

Can you give me an example of what you would be marking?

I really do appreciate your feedback!!

XOX
    Landon

Post Thanks / Like
    Landon, the markers come in little pkgs any where that sells yarn,hooks, needles ect. The ones for crochet are round and have slits in them so you can remove them. They are used to mark rounds or row or where to put stitches ect. The markers for knits are little plastic 'doughnuts' and they are used for the same purpose as the crochet ones except you move them on the needle along with your yarn. Crochet markers can also be used with knitting for a particular purpose and then removed. Buy you a pkg of each, they are not expensive 2-3 dollars each and I think well worth it. Hope this helps. Hugs
    Basically markers are used to help you know when the pattern wants you to do a certain thing. Also I use a 'row counter' on certain items I am knitting. That way I don't have to use a pad and pen. It fits on your needle and at the end of a row you just turn the little thingy on it and it helps keep up with what row you are on.
    Last edited by Magnolia Blossom; 01-08-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad you ask this too Landon hon..I have never use a marker before..I do count a lot..and I bet that would help me do less counting

Post Thanks / Like
    For example: if pattern said chain 200, put a marker every 50 chains and then count the markers. There would be 4 x 50 =200 stitches.
    Last edited by Magnolia Blossom; 01-08-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Landon, sometimes the pattern designer will suggest using stitch markers. I have noticed this especially if you are crocheting "in the round" say like for hats. Also like Magnolia Blossom said, if you are chaining a long row, it helps keep count of your chains. I also use markers if I am working on something that is in multiple parts and I have to come back to a particular to stitch to add on. I always seem to have interruptions and could not crochet without my pattern on a clipboard, sticky notes and pencil.

8. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to use random items I find around the house LOL. Different colored yarn works too, just stick a piece in and it could be a marker. I've been using them more and more lately and it seems to help a lot. I hate counting so I don't do it. It really helps when crocheting a circle to mark where the end / beginning is.

10. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I like the plastic circle ones I got...they are a little thick for my chain stitch w/ thread so I for that I use safety pins...

12. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing I have that I really can't do without on some patterns is a magnetic board with magnetic strips It's a thin piece of metal and the strips a magnetized. You put the pattern on top of the board and the strip under the line of the pattern you are working on. As you finish one row of pattern you move the strip down to next row,ect. Very handy. L