Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Help!

I have made the attached hat twice! This hat is supposed to be a present for my grandson's 6th birthday. The first one on the left (side and front views) I made was for 19 1/2 circumference, but looks way too small. Luckly I have a 3 month old grandson too. He will get this one. The second one, (furthest right front and side views) same pattern, but for 21 1/2 circumference will most likely fit him but still looks small to me. My daughter measured his head to be 19 inches. What am I doing wrong. I used the specified yarn and hook for this Lionbrand pattern #70096A with my own color patterns. Any suggestions so I know for the future?
    Attached Images Attached Images Help!-earflap-hat-1-jpg Help!-earflap-hat-2-jpg Help!-bens-earflap-hat-jpg Help!-bens-earflap-hat2-jpg 
    Dance is the hidden language of the soul

http://otsegodance.com

2. Likes Landon, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How tightly do you crochet - your tension can also make a difference in how the hat will fit. If you are using wool, it is also less stretchy than other yarns. Hope this helps you out. Otherwise, looks like you did a nice job!

4. Likes Anaisa, Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good work!!

6. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    First they both look great. I crochet tightly so I go up a size on suggested hooks if the gauge comes out good then I use it. I like things that don't need a gauge but I usually come up with something smaller than the pattern states. Are you making the increases as stated? Counting is important as well. If you are sure about these things then we need to see the pattern to see what is happening.

8. Likes Landon, Teri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Either the tension or it will stretch....happy crocheting...it look good though...

10. Likes Landon, Teri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh thanks Barbi. I used Lionbrand Wool - Ease Thick & Quick, just like the pattern says to do. So I suppose that is pretty much like wool? I do believe that I crochet a bit tight. I gotta learn to loosen up

12. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Twinfaye, going up a size on the hook may have worked. I was very careful on my counting, but I may be reading the increases wrong, this is what I am uncertain about:

"Round 6: (Single crochet in each of next 4 stitches, 2 single crochet in next stitch) 4 times – 24 stitches.
    Repeat Round 6, working one more single crochet between increases on each round, until there are 36 (40, 44) stitches."

so in the repeat round 6 how I understood it was - SC in each of the next 4 stiches, 2 SC in the next stitch and then the next stitch SC, then start all over again with SC in the next 4 stitches...is that correct?

The pattern is Lionbrand pattern #70096A from their website

14. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    hahaha ....I hope it stretches....well the 2nd one should fit anyway : )

16. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are doind 4 sc and then 2 sc in the next sc and then 4 sc and 2 sc in the next sc and then 4sc and 2sc in the next sc and then 4 sc and then 2 sc in the next sc that is what the pattern means.On the repeat (and let me say this I HATE patterns that don't say exactly where to increase and decrease) you will be doing the same stitchs but adding an incease of one more stitch until it is 36 stitchs. To me it is saying that there will be 12 more rounds. 24 plus 12 = 36 sc I may be wrong on that but it is what I think. Does someone else see it different??

18. Likes Teri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Both hats look great! I have made several hats for my Grand Kids and always worry if they will fit. It is hard to gauge it without seeing it on. My Grandson is 4 and his head is 20". I also made him a hat that turned out to be 21 1/2". It fit him fine. He likes it because it is not too tight. I have used a balloon as my model (face drawn on of course!) and then finally purchased a styrofoam head from the beauty supply store to use as a model. I bet both kids will love what you made for them!

20. Likes Landon liked this post